Where Should I Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeAmCommi

Los Angeles Smog
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have another one of those "what are my chances" questions. What do you guys think of my gpa development, chances, etc?

Fall 02: 3.33 (E.Engineering)
Win 03: 3.00 (E.Engineering)
Spr 03: 2.65 (E.Engineering)
Fall 03: 2.96 (E.Engineering)
Win 04: 3.70 (Biochemistry) <-- Major change, now I'm taking all my heavy sciences i.e. Biology, Gchem, OChem, Biochem
Spr 04: 3.90 (Biochemistry)
Fall 04: 3.84 (Biochemistry)
Win 05: 3.48 (Biochemistry)
Spr 05: ? (Biochemistry)

The first few quarters were mostly engineering and GE classes plus I did poorly in engineering math and physics (two C+'s and a couple of Bs). Engineering just didn't feel like my forte so I changed gears. Only when I started taking bio and chem courses did my grades improve dramatically. I haven't taken the DATs yet, so wish me luck this summer when I go full steam into studying for it! I have all the books, CDs and am taking Kaplan.

As for the application fillers:
I have 80+ hours of clinical interning.
I'm starting a new chapter of AIBS (American Institute of Biological Sciences) with some friends.
Am committed to a year of research next year at the UCD Med Center.
In the process of securing a summer research job at Stanford.

If you guys could suggest possible schools in which I should apply, that would be awesome. I live in California so I'm applying to all the California schools but the schools on the east coast are a little more nebulous. Any suggestions considering my stats? Overall gpa is 3.4 :( I know it's hard without my DATs but assume I score in the low 20s or something. I want to specialize also.

Here is my list so far:
Pacific
UCSF
UCLA
USC
Columbia ?
Harvard <-- reach school ?
UPenn ?
NYU <-- safety
BU <-- safety

Members don't see this ad.

People, how much more complicated than necessary do you have to make the applications process to be?? Just apply to the damn schools that you want to apply to.

mvs04 said:
People, how much more complicated than necessary do you have to make the applications process to be?? Just apply to the damn schools that you want to apply to.

There's some truth to that.

To the OP: you grades have a good trend after chaning majors. Much will depend on what you score the DAT.

There are simply too many factors to get good answers to "what are my chances?" threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
just dont apply to public schools from other states

EyeAmCommi said:
Hey guys,

I have another one of those "what are my chances" questions. What do you guys think of my gpa development, chances, etc?

Fall 02: 3.33 (E.Engineering)
Win 03: 3.00 (E.Engineering)
Spr 03: 2.65 (E.Engineering)
Fall 03: 2.96 (E.Engineering)
Win 04: 3.70 (Biochemistry) <-- Major change, now I'm taking all my heavy sciences i.e. Biology, Gchem, OChem, Biochem
Spr 04: 3.90 (Biochemistry)
Fall 04: 3.84 (Biochemistry)
Win 05: 3.48 (Biochemistry)
Spr 05: ? (Biochemistry)

The first few quarters were mostly engineering and GE classes plus I did poorly in engineering math and physics (two C+'s and a couple of Bs). Engineering just didn't feel like my forte so I changed gears. Only when I started taking bio and chem courses did my grades improve dramatically. I haven't taken the DATs yet, so wish me luck this summer when I go full steam into studying for it! I have all the books, CDs and am taking Kaplan.

As for the application fillers:
I have 80+ hours of clinical interning.
I'm starting a new chapter of AIBS (American Institute of Biological Sciences) with some friends.
Am committed to a year of research next year at the UCD Med Center.
In the process of securing a summer research job at Stanford.

If you guys could suggest possible schools in which I should apply, that would be awesome. I live in California so I'm applying to all the California schools but the schools on the east coast are a little more nebulous. Any suggestions considering my stats? Overall gpa is 3.4 :( I know it's hard without my DATs but assume I score in the low 20s or something. I want to specialize also.

Here is my list so far:
Pacific
UCSF
UCLA
USC
Columbia ?
Harvard <-- reach school ?
UPenn ?
NYU <-- safety
BU <-- safety

You won't really know until you try. If it is what you really want, it will happen. It can be expensive, but try to visit some of the schools on your list. Take care and GOD bless.