Where should I apply???

mikeaparker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 4, 1999
VA
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
    I would like some advice on which D.O. Schools to apply to. I live in VA and there are no D.O. schools here. I would like to go to a D.O. school which has a good cirriculum which integrates clinical exposure in the first two years & which does not have a dress code or require you to remain in their state!! Does anyone have any suggestions, also I haven't sent out my primary application yet but I am currently working on it.

Thanks,

Mike

mig2k

10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    May 21, 1999
    1. Physical Therapy Student
      Some advice: You're pretty late if you haven't sent your primary yet. Keep in mind that if you send it NOW and everything goes OK, you'll get 2ndaries early/mid November. Lets say, in theorie, that you are deligent this time and send out the 2ndaries on the SAME day you received them, they will be completed ~2wks later.

Keep in mind that some DO schools would have already filled their classes by now.

So enough of my rambling, point is...send it ASAP if you are even remotely serious about med school, osteopathic OR allopathic.

------------------
      Ryan
      Western U/COMP Class of 2004
      thedigitaldoctor.com

mikeaparker

10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Sep 4, 1999
      VA
      1. Pre-Pharmacy
        I already sent my apps to allo just waiting for my mcat scores, just considered to apply to D.O as well!! Nothing can happen till my mcat scores are back from august anyways
        frown.gif

mike

About the Ads

aecuenca

15+ Year Member
        Sep 28, 1999
        San Diego, CA USA
          hmm...hope you're not just applying to D.O. schools because of the "what the heck, why not" attitude. At the interviews, they'll know that you applied to both and you'll have to answer why you applied to osteopathic med schools in the first place and what experiences you have of it. Unless you are seriously considering D.O. schools, don't even send that primary because some schools actually look down on it.

young guy np

10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Sep 6, 1999
            mikeaparker,

the only state i know of which requires you to stay in after med school is ohio. the schools you should apply to depends on what you are interested in. for i.e. OMT the best school is probably KCOM.

young guy np

young guy np

10+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Sep 6, 1999
              just a quick question. after rereading your post, realized you didn't have OMT for what you would like to do. Are you interested in OMT? if not, i wouldn't recommend DO schools, just because many people want to do OMT and really care for the DO philosophy. i am not trying to sound too harsh just was putting a little sense in. remember want to go to DO school because we like the philosophy, not because we can't get into an allopathic med school. just my opinion, hope i didnt sound like a jerk

young guy np

Gregory Gulick

10+ Year Member
              Nov 10, 1998
              Largo, Florida (USA)
                I'm not sure that ruling out a school because they have a dress code is a wise decision. Presence or absence of a dress code says nothing about the quality of the education you will receive. I assure you that you will find many more "requirements" as you progress through your medical education that are much more troublesome than a dress code.

ggulick.gif

mig2k

10+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                May 21, 1999
                1. Physical Therapy Student
                  coltrane: From what I have heard and seen, DO schools are quicker than MD schools at filling their classes. I heard while at my WUCOMP interview (although I CAN'T vouch if its true or not) that WUCOMP will fill their class (or stop interviewing?) by the end of November.

------------------
                  Ryan
                  Western U/COMP Class of 2004
                  thedigitaldoctor.com

About the Ads
                  This thread is more than 22 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.