Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlanAlanine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The Texas schools may not have a secondary, but they use a completely different primary app (not AMCAS). Don't know if that affects your decision. Plus they're pretty IS-heavy.

I think Oklahoma is pretty IS-heavy also, but someone is free to correct me on that.

Look, unless you're applying to schools that have a strict no-OOS policy, you're going to at least get a look. Your numbers are phenomenal, and you'll be a star no matter where you apply, WashU included, as long as your EC's are in good shape.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering what advice and encouragement you could give me
for getting into medical school. I am serious about getting into
medical school, but I'm already a senior at UNC-Wilmington. My major is
Exercise Science and I have taken half of the Pre-Med requirements. My
GPA in those 4 classes is a 2.75. I know this is not good enough, my
overall GPA is a 3.1. I was scared to make the commitment before
because I was torn between another career goal. I still have to take 3
full semesters of major courses, Orgo 1 and 2, Physics 1 and 2. I have
so many hours remaining because I started at UNCW in Bio, then
transferred to N.C. State for a year and a half, had a bad semester, changed
majors and went back to UNCW. I know I'm capable of acing the remaining
pre-med requirements and doing very well in my major courses. I'm
wondering if I should go ahead and plan to attain a master's before I
try to apply to med school. I'm open to Osteopathic medicine as well.
Thank you for your time. I'm just looking for some guidance.

Your GPA is going to really hinder you. Do as well as you can in your remaining courses, and aim for the mid 30's on the MCAT. You might still have a chance. DO schools are a bit more forgiving, but the average GPA there is still around a 3.4-3.5. See how the rest of your classes and your MCAT go before deciding on a Master's.

Thanks for your advice.

While I do realize that my numbers are quite good, I would rather apply to schools that do not heavily favor in state residents.

So, I probably won't apply to the texas schools I listed or Oaklahoma.

I discovered that the LizzyM sheet has a bit about residency preferences, so I cross listed my sheet with excel and eliminated schools that had very few OOS.

Here's the new list of schools with easy secondaries. Any of these schools still strongly prefer residents (except for ucsf since I'm CA)?

Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
Boston (optional essay)
Drexel
George Washington (8 liner about why GWU)
Harvard (New Pathway)
Jefferson (Optional 500 character statement)
Mayo
Medical College of Wisconsin
MSU (essay after interview invite?)
New York Medical College
NYU (essay for applicants who have been out of school)
Saint Louis University
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Buffalo
Tufts (Optional brief essay)
UCSF (optional update on activities)
University of Cincinnati
University of Pennsylvania
University of Rochester (Two interview essays)
University of Vermont
Tulane University School of Medicine?
Washington University in St. Louis (2 optional - if you have completed your education, and if you have overcome any special challenges)

If these schools are all reasonable for OOS, then is this a good school list for me, on top of all the CA schools?

Although I understand that there is no real "safe" med school to apply to, could anyone recommend some schools that I might have an easier time getting into? Berkeley's med school admission rates are rather abysmal, and I don't want to be one of those stellar Cal grads who don't get in anywhere.

You should apply to all the CA schools, regardless of their secondaries. The tuition will be cheap, and you stand a pretty good chance of getting a scholarship. Other than that, your list looks fine.

Grazie for the quick reply.

I will for sure apply to all the CA schools, save loma linda. I doubt I will receive any scholarships though.

Anyway, that leaves me with the list above of 21 schools, and UCD, UCSD, UCLA, UCSF, UCI, USC, and Stanford for a total of 28 schools.

However, I would still like to try my hand at some top 20 schools like Yale, Columbia, U Chicago Pritzker, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, Emory, maybe Duke although I heard the secondary is killer, Cornell, Vanderbilt, U of Washington, U of Michigan, and Baylor.

That's like 12 more schools for a grand total of 40 which is way too many. Any ideas on how I should trim my list? Should I apply to fewer top schools, or fewer easy secondary schools?

40 is wayyy too much for you! Aim for 20. And you really don't need that many backups. 7 CA schools, 8 high tier, and 5 backups is probably enough for you.

Thanks for the concrete numbers. I don't know what medical schools could be considered back-ups (other than in the Caribbean) -- I've heard admission to any is difficult. Where do you think it would be "safer" for me to apply?