Medical Where should I be applying with poor ECs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats: 3.95 cGPA (3.93 science), 525 MCAT

CA resident, ORM, top 15 non-Ivy school
Clinical experience: 120hrs hospital volunteering (will be continued), 60hrs consenting pts for clinical research, 60hrs shadowing
Non-clinical volunteering: ~90hrs through service frat, 50hrs mentoring inner city students,
Research: 850hrs, no pubs/presentations
Leadership: 210hrs, two orgs
other ECs: ~280hrs competitive MUN team, ~180hrs organizing high school MUN conference, ~80hrs as peer mentor/tutor, 35hrs as TA for science course, 40hrs in choir, 60hrs with dance team

What schools should I be aiming for with this? How much will my low clinical hrs hold me back?
Your extracurricular activities are good. I think you should apply broadly given your stats. Have 5-6 top tier schools, 7-10 middle tier schools, and 5 low tier schools. If you have extra cash to burn, add in more top tier schools. Your stats are excellent and will carry you far.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you. Would you be able to recommend some mid-tier schools to look into? I currently have UVA, USC, UMD, Boston University, and Ohio State (is this mid-tier?) on my list.
There are some pretty good private schools that you can look into. Metrics alone won't guarantee an offer, but you're in as solid a position if your fit with the schools of your choice work for you. Your EC's aren't poor, but you're right that based on your limited descriptions, they don't help you stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies.