Where should I do an away rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blutie202

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

I can't find any residency program rankings and remain confused on which EMED Residency programs are considered to be (1) reach programs and (2) "on radar screen but not guaranteed." Then again, I know that all residency programs are really tough and never a guarantee.

Have average STEP scores (I/II: 220s/230s) and MS-III grades (a couple HRs) with valuable work experience and a Master's in International Health Policy. Aiming for East Coast programs.

Any tips on which programs may fit the categories above? Where I should do an away rotation?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

While you can glean some of that information from reading this site, it honestly doesn't matter. You should be applying to every place out there that you think you might want to go. Once the interview offers start rolling in, then you can begin whittling it down. There is no advantage on your end to trying to figure out which places might give you an interview offer. Simply apply there if you're interested.

As for an away: if there is one program you really think you might want to rank 1st, try to do an away there. 1: It lets you see if you actually like the place or not. 2: It basically serves as a month long interview which usually works to your advantage.

Why have you already taken step II? It's only march.

Hi everyone -

I can't find any residency program rankings and remain confused on which EMED Residency programs are considered to be (1) reach programs and (2) "on radar screen but not guaranteed." Then again, I know that all residency programs are really tough and never a guarantee.

Have average STEP scores (I/II: 220s/230s) and MS-III grades (a couple HRs) with valuable work experience and a Master's in International Health Policy. Aiming for East Coast programs.

Any tips on which programs may fit the categories above? Where I should do an away rotation?

Thanks!

Search for the where did you have a great EM rotation...or away rotation or something like that thread. It was relatively recent.

While you can glean some of that information from reading this site, it honestly doesn't matter. You should be applying to every place out there that you think you might want to go. Once the interview offers start rolling in, then you can begin whittling it down. There is no advantage on your end to trying to figure out which places might give you an interview offer. Simply apply there if you're interested.

As for an away: if there is one program you really think you might want to rank 1st, try to do an away there. 1: It lets you see if you actually like the place or not. 2: It basically serves as a month long interview which usually works to your advantage.

Why have you already taken step II? It's only march.

Thanks. I see your point about applying but I also don't want to plan an away rotation at a top-5 program where I know I will stand NO chance, even if I fall in love with it....