Where should/shouldn't I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UNCafDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I welcome ANY suggestions on where/where not to apply!

My stats:

3.98 GPA (overall and science)

PAT: 22
QR: 22
RC: 19
Bio: 24
GC: 20
OC: 29
TS: 23
AA: 23

I am a Virginia resident, attending college in NC.

I am missing two common prereqs (Phys II and Microbio), and will take them in senior spring (I am a junior).

I am a white female.

I have zero research experience.

I have 600 hours of shadowing and 1,500 hours of volunteering (mainly EMT volunteering, some dental mission volunteering).

I think my letters will be good.

I am considering applying to (in no order):

VCU, UNC, Maryland
Midwestern-AZ, ASDOH, UNLV
Nova Southeastern, LECOM
Western, Pacific
Louisville, Kentucky
Tennessee, WVU (I work summers in WV)
MUSC, Florida
Should I apply to any TX schools?? I love TX, but I know the odds are rough.

I *think* I would like to head in the OMFS direction.

I really am not a fan of cold weather.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I welcome ANY suggestions on where/where not to apply!

My stats:

3.98 GPA (overall and science)

PAT: 22
QR: 22
RC: 19
Bio: 24
GC: 20
OC: 29
TS: 23
AA: 23

I am a Virginia resident, attending college in NC.

I am missing two common prereqs (Phys II and Microbio), and will take them in senior spring (I am a junior).

I am a white female.

I have zero research experience.

I have 600 hours of shadowing and 1,500 hours of volunteering (mainly EMT volunteering, some dental mission volunteering).

I think my letters will be good.

I am considering applying to (in no order):

VCU, UNC, Maryland
Midwestern-AZ, ASDOH, UNLV
Nova Southeastern, LECOM
Western, Pacific
Louisville, Kentucky
Tennessee, WVU (I work summers in WV)
MUSC, Florida
Should I apply to any TX schools?? I love TX, but I know the odds are rough.

I *think* I would like to head in the OMFS direction.

I really am not a fan of cold weather.

Thanks!
Odds of getting into Florida are tough as well. They only accept like 2-5 OOS people out of a class size of 93. I would recommend adding a few schools with medical curriculums like Stony Brook, UConn and Columbia. Perhaps add UCSF and drop Western, but that’s just a personal choice.

Reactions: 1 users
Texas schools accept very few OOS applicants - odds are small. I would also apply to UCSF, UCLA, PENN, Columbia & Harvard (small odds) - these all have high specialization rates. I would take out: MWU-AZ, Western, LECOM at the least.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Texas schools accept very few OOS applicants - odds are small. I would also apply to UCSF, UCLA, PENN, Columbia & Harvard (small odds) - these all have high specialization rates. I would take out: MWU-AZ, Western, LECOM at the least.

Why would you take out Western, LECOM, and MWU-AZ? Thanks.

Why would you take out Western, LECOM, and MWU-AZ? Thanks.
You already have quite a few schools in those academic stats range and you mentioned that you're considering specializing - those schools focus on general dentistry. They are also quite expensive (I'm not sure if lecom or western offers in-state tuition after 1st year) and I feel you can find better value at other schools for your scenario. You want to apply to around 8-14 schools in my opinion and with your stats, it will be closer to 8.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, thanks. I sent you a PM, but you can ignore that unless you have more thoughts.

I know that UNC strongly favors in state, but will attending college in NC help me in any way?

Nappy is my dog. That was her name when I adopted her.

UAB a good choice, I second that idea.
UCSF is a good choice but OOS will be tough. I agree with the basic science/med school scenario if possible, but Columbia will be the top choice in this case but quite expensive. UConn also good. You will need a winter coat for last two.

Thanks everyone. Should I apply to the TX schools? I love TX, but have no connection, other than visits there over the years. I would love to have warmer weather and lower tuition, but I do not know if I will be throwing my money away by applying.