Where the ladies at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CAdr2b

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been accepted to a few optometry schools and am currently deciding whether optometry is really the direction I want to go. I've done a lot of research on the field, but almost all of the optometrists I have spoken to have been men. I know there are way more women than men in optometry schools, so where the ladies at?!

I'd really like to hear what some lady optometrists have to say on life post-optometry school. Have any started their own private practices? Is it too hard to start a private practice if you'll also starting a family? One of the great things I've heard about optometry is the flexibility it gives you when you're having a family. Have female optometrists found this to be true? Also, how much are women optometrists making? Do you consider the investment in optometry school worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I'm not a lady. My class is 50/50 MF, and the class ahead actually has a few more women than men. There are female ODs, and the women in my class are aware of the lifestyle perks/flexibility. I think there is a growing trend for women to apply to optometry school. However, I think typically the admissions committees will attempt to keep the ratio as close to 50/50 as possible within all fairness. Of course, female docs do form their own practices and do all that great stuff. Once you're in school you can sign up for Review of Optometry magazine if you like, and every now and again receive the special editions: "Women in Optometry." You might even be able to read some of those articles online if you google it. I'd rest easy though—there are some talented people in our field of both sexes. This thread may still turn into a flame war over earning ceilings, but I'd keep in mind that that's true only to varying degrees in all professions right now, and is always changing.

This thread disappoints me...Not what I expected...

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: what did you expect.......Where da ladys at ....holmes ? :laugh:

From the PCO blackboard site.. I can see that there are 90% females in our class for 2012.. altho this can be taken in 2 ways:

1) hell yeah
2) most of the guys accepted into our class are too damn lazy to find a roommate on the blackboard site

:)