Where to apply [and in-state tuition after one year?]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dookter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a few questions. I am in the process of filling out AMCAS, and I am having a lot of trouble figuring out where I want to apply. I really like some state schools outside my state, but I am not going to pay out of state tuition. I have heard recently that at some schools you can pay in-state tuition after your first year. Has anyone else heard this?

I am also a little surprised at how many schools people on here say they are applying to. I have strong #'s [36S, 4.0] and only know 3 schools that I will definitely apply to. I have a friend that applied to around 13 schools and I thought he was nuts. Why do people on here apply to like 30 schools? I have some good reasons for not applying to tons of schools. First is the cost! But even if that was not an issue, it seems like I would have to spend my whole semester flying around the country to interviews and could not focus on my senior thesis research or my other activities [not to mention completing my biochem degree!]. Any advice?

I seriously feel like applying to Tennessee [where I will probably attend], Vandy, and WashU and saying screw the rest. Bad plan?

Members don't see this ad.

AWFUL PLAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know you have strong numbers, probably great ECs too but guess what, so do every single person you will be competing against!!!! I was amazed on my interviews how incredible everyone was. Even with your numbers my advice would be to apply to 10. I had strong numbers too, 37 and 3.9 and I applied to 20 schools and was accepted at 4! Especially if you want a highly ranked school you have a lot of competition.