Where to apply? Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmu29

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non trad student reapplying. Looking for advice. I dropped out of undergrad in 2019 due to covid and personal reasons. I had 2 babies got married and needed to focus on family. I have not worked/studied medicine since, I started my own real estate business. I am finishing my last two courses this fall. 3.54 cGPA 3.4sGPA 501 MCAT currently. I have extensive research/shadow/work experience. Hundreds/thousands of hours in each and several authored papers 1 or 2 publications. Deciding if I should just apply to sgu and go or retake mcat and apply to us md. I know people always change their mind but I am and always have been set on a surgical residency thats why I am hesitant to just apply to sgu. Any advice on where to apply? Do I still have a shot at US MD? Appreciate any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Do not apply to SGU. Their dropout rate is higher and match rate is lower than they advertise. With a p/f step 1 it will be increasingly difficult for IMGs/FMGs to match into US residencies. Your academic record suggests you need to be at a school where there is actual academic support - at US schools they are incentivized to retain as many students as possible by LCME standards, at Carib schools they are incentivized to lose as many students as possible before the clinical years (due to not having enough clinical rotation spots for all the M1s they accept). Are you going to relocate your family to a developing country? Figure out what you need to do to bring up your MCAT, and do it. If you can't get there, consider PA school which is a great option for nontrads who already have a lot of clinical and life experience. I'm not sure what metrics are needed for podiatry these days but that might also be a good option if you're interested in surgery/procedures and really want the doctor title/responsibility.

Reactions: 2 users
Only retake the MCAT once you’re confident you will do well on it, above a 510 ideally. Then, you will be able to apply to US MD schools, but your sGPA will have to be above a 3.5 at least to be considered competitive or even not get screened out. You will also need community service experiences as well.

Do not apply to any Caribbean MD schools, I actually think going PA/NP is MUCH more worth your efforts than going to a foreign medical school and taking on risks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Non trad student reapplying. Looking for advice. I dropped out of undergrad in 2019 due to covid and personal reasons. I had 2 babies got married and needed to focus on family. I have not worked/studied medicine since, I started my own real estate business. I am finishing my last two courses this fall. 3.54 cGPA 3.4sGPA 501 MCAT currently. I have extensive research/shadow/work experience. Hundreds/thousands of hours in each and several authored papers 1 or 2 publications. Deciding if I should just apply to sgu and go or retake mcat and apply to us md. I know people always change their mind but I am and always have been set on a surgical residency thats why I am hesitant to just apply to sgu. Any advice on where to apply? Do I still have a shot at US MD? Appreciate any feedback!
You would be great for DO schools, don’t apply carribean at all!

Thank you for all the advice. I have heard similar opinions about sgu that was my fear. Ideally I would retake the MCAT and apply MD/DO. if I scored 510 or better id be in a decent spot?

Where is your state of residence ? How many hours of clinical volunteering/employment with patient contact do you have ?

NJ. I have 8k ish combined. I worked full time since I was a freshman in college in urgent cares or as a research assistant. All summers and vacation I spent shadowing. Starting another full time position next week with RWJBH as a scribe again.

Thank you for all the advice. I have heard similar opinions about sgu that was my fear. Ideally I would retake the MCAT and apply MD/DO. if I scored 510 or better id be in a decent spot?
Apply DO and a few US MD. Rocky Vista, Burrell, LECOM, etc are all great DO schools that’d take you if you apply. I applied to 1 DO school with a 495, retook MCAT and got in with a 501 and 3.4 cGPA that same year. A lot of DO schools will take you

Reactions: 1 users