Where to apply with my stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digoybugoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Im strongly thinking of doing medicine. I like it alot and I can go into something like cardiology or heme/onc in the future. I have some schools in mind but I dont know exactly where I would be competitive in.

I got a 237/99 on step 1, 4th quintile of my class (in the top 40%), from a US medical school (not top 40 nih) . Many honors classes in year 1 and 2 but no AOA. Honors in medicine plus clerkships with commendation. 3 publications (2 posters presented in conferences + 1 journal article just submitted)

So far I have yale, michigan, u of florida, case western, northwestern, u of virginia, georgetown, george washington, maryland, penn, u of chicago plus my own school's medicine program. I plan on applying to at least 30 programs.

where do you guys/gals think I should apply? I like the idea of going to hopkins but I heard its really hard to get in without AOA or being in a really good US medical school. Do you guys feel I need to apply to some lesser known programs just for safety? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll never know unless you try. If you get interview offers from all your applications, then you did not shoot high enough. No AOA and your class rank will likely prevent you from getting into hopkins, but why not apply? The app fees are small.

yeah my program director said that you need aoa and be from a top school to even be considered for hopkins. Im also working on 2 more pubs and step 2. My problem is I dont want to fill my match list with programs I dont even have a shot- I feel like I'm overshooting with my current list to be honest. Ill probably put lesser known but good programs in. My list has now 28 schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah my program director said that you need aoa and be from a top school to even be considered for hopkins. Im also working on 2 more pubs and step 2. My problem is I dont want to fill my match list with programs I dont even have a shot- I feel like I'm overshooting with my current list to be honest. Ill probably put lesser known but good programs in. My list has now 28 schools.

Hopkins has a tendency to interview everyone who does an away rotation unlike some other big institutions. If you're interested in Hopkins that can be a way to go.

Hi

Im strongly thinking of doing medicine. I like it alot and I can go into something like cardiology or heme/onc in the future. I have some schools in mind but I dont know exactly where I would be competitive in.

I got a 237/99 on step 1, 4th quintile of my class (in the top 40%), from a US medical school (not top 40 nih) . Many honors classes in year 1 and 2 but no AOA. Honors in medicine plus clerkships with commendation. 3 publications (2 posters presented in conferences + 1 journal article just submitted)

So far I have yale, michigan, u of florida, case western, northwestern, u of virginia, georgetown, george washington, maryland, penn, u of chicago plus my own school's medicine program. I plan on applying to at least 30 programs.

where do you guys/gals think I should apply? I like the idea of going to hopkins but I heard its really hard to get in without AOA or being in a really good US medical school. Do you guys feel I need to apply to some lesser known programs just for safety? thanks.

I really think those stats get you an interview almost anywhere you apply, so your application list is totally up to you - apply where you want

(if you are interested in fellowship, apply as high up the food chain as you like)

Personally, I thought that Hopkins had the most diverse group of residents in terms of med school representation compared to a place like MGH. So I'd definitely give Hopkins a shot. Besides, what is the worst case scenario - you get a rejection, but at least you'll know you've tried. All the other schools on your list seem very appropriate. Good Luck!

so my stats are somewhat similar to yours, except I was top 10%, no AOA (where I was from AOA was more of a popularity contest), and no puplications. Got interviews from Hopkins and MGH. Hopkins isn't as nearly as malignant as people think, and the PD is actually an awesome guy.

hopkins is a great place, but baltimore sucks. Quite honestly though, if your looking for just a big name to goto, you won't be happy. Alot of hopkins level training is out there, and it depends on what you want out of a program.

Ie.- i want to eventually do cards, but looking at hopkins, they had alot of heme/onc, and no built in cardiology rotations vs UTSW, u do 2 a year on the CCU. And even if i dont end up doing cardiology, i think cards knowledge is better for the general internist than heme onc knowledge.

UTSW is as tough as Hopkins, and puts out as much, if not more research a year. Plus we got Texas oil money funding this place.