MD Where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful___MD

On peut parler français à moi
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, been lurking for a while. Decided to actually post something. Wanted to know where I stand among admissions with my stats.

Undergraduate
  • Undergrad cGPA: 3.41
  • Undergrad sGPA: 3.21
  • Strong upward trend (3.5 and 3.74 junior year semesters. Then 4.0 for senior year.)
  • 4 years of various leadership roles
  • 2.5 years of meaningful research, but with no pubs
  • 200+ hours of clinical volunteering and 150+ hours of nonclinical
I am currently in an SMP (with a thesis :() with one more semester. The SMP is 3 semesters long and I have completed 2 of them with a 4.0 GPA. This semester is focused on writing a thesis with research in medicine. I should make a 4.0 this semester seeing as how the school is gracious with giving students the time and resources to write and well-defend the thesis.

Assuming I make a 4.0 this semester, and keep busy with work and volunteering in the spring, where should I apply for medical school? I am currently a MS resident and I am aware of how "lucky" MS residents are with medical school. However, I don't want to put all of my eggs in one basket with this school.

EDIT: I took the MCAT last June and I made a 518 (129 in Bio/Biochem and CARS, 130 in Phys/Chem and Psych/Soc.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need an MCAT score(if you don't already have one) for any relevant discussion.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you have already been an in SMP for a semester at least; what's your SMP GPA currently? Not what you project this semester but what is it as of now.

Regardless you don't need me to tell you your odds are by far the best at a state school like U of Miss that interviews well over over half their IS applicants.

It sounds like you have already been an in SMP for a semester at least; what's your SMP GPA currently? Not what you project this semester but what is it as of now.
I have been in for 2 semesters so far and will be in for a third semester. I currently have a 4.0 SMP GPA, with have taken Med Biochem, Anatomy labs, Pharmacy classes, Physio, and research credits.

EDIT: I have noticed how much I left out of my description and I edited it to give a clearer picture. Also yes, I am aware of how well-off I am with this school. I have talked to admissions and have given them this info (and more private info) and they have told me that I would pretty much get an interview if I applied. If I interviewed well enough, then I would also get in. However, practicing medicine in MS isn't what I am aiming for and would love to broaden my horizons.

Last edited:
I have been in for 2 semesters so far and will be in for a third semester. I currently have a 4.0 SMP GPA, with have taken Med Biochem, Anatomy labs, Pharmacy classes, Physio, and research credits.

Look at schools that reward re-invention and have their own SMP program. Those are the ones that will really value strong SMP showings

Tulane
Eastern Virginia
Rosalind
VCU
Georgetown
Boston U

There are others I've seen Goro cite that look rather favorably upon strong SMP showings
Albany
NYMC
Drexel(have their own post-bacc)
Temple(have their own linkage post-bacc program)
Loyola
Va Tech

Given your academic performance the last few years and your MCAT score top tier schools might also be worth an application(scratch if you don't have research experience though). Look at Case, UCSF, Columbia, Duke and Vandy. Mt. Sinai also has an SMP program and hence might be worth consideration

Others to throw into the mix: Emory, USC, Rochester, Einstein, Hofstra, Mayo(maybe), Miami. New MD schools are also worth consideration in Oakland, Quinnipac and Western Michigan

Given you are an MS resident there really isn't that great of a need to throw in that many lower tiers and new schools. Whether or not you have research experience is what will matter for if you want a shot at some of the bigger names I threw such as Columbia and Duke and Vandy.

Others to throw into the mix: Emory, USC, Rochester, Einstein, Hofstra, Mayo(maybe), Miami. New MD schools are also worth consideration in Oakland, Quinnipac and Western Michigan
Thank you for the list! I was wondering if this is Miami, OH or Miami, FL? Not opposed to either one, but I've seen that Ohio is pretty favorable to OH residents.

Thank you for the list! I was wondering if this is Miami, OH or Miami, FL? Not opposed to either one, but I've seen that Ohio is pretty favorable to OH residents.

Miami of Ohio doesn't have a medical school. I was talking about the one in Florida: "The U" as is often called .

3.4 GPA + 4.0 SMP + 518 MCAT puts you in a pretty good position stats wise honestly.

When you apply next June you should receive several interviews if you apply broadly to at least 20 schools. Schools to consider include:
Quinnipiac
Hofstra (they like high MCAT scores)
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Tulane
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Any new private MD schools that open in 2017.

When you apply next June you should receive several interviews if you apply broadly to at least 20 schools. Schools to consider include:
Quinnipiac
Hofstra (they like high MCAT scores)
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Tulane
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Any new private MD schools that open in 2017.
Don't really want to apply to Cal North State. However, I heard that Mayo is opening a new medical school in AZ?

3.4 GPA + 4.0 SMP + 518 MCAT puts you in a pretty good position stats wise honestly.
Thank you. I have had a few people tell me when I was starting the SMP that it was kind of a mistake to really take the SMP with a GPA that "decent" or "good." However I have always wanted to go to Emory or somewhere that has amazing hospitals. UCSF, Emory, Vandy, and Duke seems like a reach but they'll be added to my list.

I'll tell you this, you're just about a sure thing at the University of Mississippi School of Medicine, because your GPA without the SMP would have been passable and your MCAT equivalent is 8 points higher than their median. Some public schools are a little weary of people they don't know they can get, but I don't think that will be a problem at a school that interviews 2/3 of their applicants and matriculates almost half of them.

That being said, it's never a bad idea to not count your eggs before they hatch (probably a double negative, but I'm keeping it). And you have the application to go ahead and put your app in at some of the top 20's, for sure. You've got enough research, volunteering, and clinical experience to be competitive along with a strong showing in SMP and a great MCAT. That uGPA may cost you some places (the tippy tops), but overall I think you'll be in great shape if you apply to some top tiers, a healthy mid-tier list, and like I said above, your state school is about as safe as it gets for a safety.

Thanks everyone for you help on the school list. Here are my schools that I have selected to apply to:

Reach
JHU
Vanderbilt
Mayo
Duke
Columbia
UCSF
USC

Mid to High Tier
Miami
Case Western
Medical College of Virginia**
Emory
Boston
Brown
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis

Safeties = UMC and the school the parent medical school of the SMP I am attending.
Total schools: 27

@mw18 I hope we could potentially see each other in the future.
@GrapesofRath @Faha Thanks again for helping me with a comprehensive school list. This list is not final as I will definitely dwindle this down as I know how much money I will be allowed to spend on secondaries, interviews, etc.

** I have heavy family ties here. My family donates money to the school each year + I have a family member currently attending. @Goro @gyngyn will this have any pull on my chances going here, especially being OOS?