Quantcast

Where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dradams

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I wanted to get some feedback from those with more experience and knowledge than I.

I am a 3rd year med student at University of Miami and am starting to think about where I might apply for IM residencies. I am older with a wife and kids so we like to plan a bit. My grades in first two years are all Pass but my ranking will be somwhere in the bottom half of the class. My Step I score is a 203.

With my stats, what types of programs should I be looking at? Obviosly not the very top programs, but besides those I have no idea what most IM programs look for in an applicant. Any help on where I stand would be greatly appreciated.

zeloc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really don't know for sure, but there are a lot of IM programs out there. I would think that the best thing to do is to decide geographically several regions of the country where you would be interested in going, and then evaluating all of the programs in those areas, making sure to apply to programs that you think you would get in as well as programs that might be a reach. You could also come up with a big list of programs based on their strength if that is more important to you, regardless of location, or you could look at community versus academic programs. Whatever first category you choose, you could then narrow it down based on where you think you would get in.

efex101

attending
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am also non-traditional with two teens and here is how I did it...first of all I picked regions of the US we are willing to go to, then I looked at states, then cities, then programs. I then met with different individuals in my medical school (Deans), and other physicians who could give me sound advice. I went over my scores, grades, research, etc..and based on their suggestions along with my preferences I came up with a good solid list.

To be honest, most programs that I looked at do *not* have a numerical cutoff on their board scores...so it is really hard to figure out if you should or not apply there. Now, this said obviously the big names will have higher average board scores and hence maybe if you have low scores it does not compensate applying there....*but* you just never know. Maybe there are "other" aspects that would make you an attractive candidate.

Good luck!

dradams

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.