where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sk06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a tentative list on schools i plan on applying to and need your input/advice on schools i should take off or add. I am a 2nd-time reapplicant w/ gpa 3.1 and 20 AA/21 TS/15 PAT. I plan on retaking the DAT this july to bring up that PAT score. I'm also a NC resident. I know 23 schools is a lot which is why i need advice. any help would be appreciated!

unc
bu
tufts
nyu
loma linda
usc
upitt
udetroit-mercy
creighton
temple
columbia
howard
meharry
midwestern
case
umaryland
nova
upacific
umichigan
marquette
asdoh
vcu
ulouisville

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a tentative list on schools i plan on applying to and need your input/advice on schools i should take off or add. I am a 2nd-time reapplicant w/ gpa 3.1 and 20 AA/21 TS/15 PAT. I plan on retaking the DAT this july to bring up that PAT score. I'm also a NC resident. I know 23 schools is a lot which is why i need advice. any help would be appreciated!

unc
bu
tufts
nyu
loma linda
usc
upitt
udetroit-mercy
creighton
temple
columbia
howard
meharry
midwestern
case
umaryland
nova
upacific
umichigan
marquette
asdoh
vcu
ulouisville

Are you a minority?

i'm southeast asian so technically not really a minority for dental schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you're an URM (southeast asian certainly doesn't count) I wouldn't bother wasting your time with Howard and Meharry. Loma Linda is fine if you like answering questions along the lines of "How will you incorporate your relationship with God into your professional dental career". Otherwise, don't bother. Columbia and Pacific are known for being DAT heavy, but it's not a bad thing to have a couple reaches. Those points aside, looks like a long albeit complete list. Good luck.

unc
bu
tufts
nyu
loma linda
usc
upitt
udetroit-mercy
creighton
temple
columbia
howard
meharry
midwestern
case
umaryland
nova
upacific
umichigan
marquette
asdoh
vcu
ulouisville

I would remove Loma Linda, howard, and Meharry. Marquette may be a bit of a reach since it is supported by Wisconsin making it into a sort of Wisconsin state school. Other than that it seems fine. I don't know about Maryland and U michigan though. Do they admit a significant number of out of staters?

why should i remove loma linda? it seems like they accept a large # of out-of-staters but maybe there's something about the school i don't know as to why i might not have a good chance of getting in. i know maryland & michigan are long shots too but i heard they both accept about 40% of out-of-state applicants. i'm at a disadvantage bc nc only has 1 d-school so far! i appreciate the advice. keep it coming! :)

is Loma Linda an all-Christian school? maybe that's why. i shouldve realized that one.

oh ok thanks for letting me know. i'll remove that school from my list!