Where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aarond

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just asking for advice on where to apply because of a terrible freshman year.. I will apply this coming cycle in June and am not URM

AMCAS = 3.1 CGPA, 3.78 SGPA
AACOMAS = 3.7 CGPA, 3.71 SGPA

MCAT = 33 (12BS, 11VR, 10,PS)

I am a Tennessee resident, and am open to going to anywhere for school. My extracurricular activities are about as follows

-120 or so volunteer community service hours
-80 hours shadowing physicians
-1500 hours of research, trying to get a publication together currently
-120 hours of volunteering at hospice and physical rehab center
-organized a relief benefit concert for storm victims
-have worked full time since I was 16 (40hr a week)
-tutored students in general and organic chemistry, as well as biology as a volunteer

My recommendation letters are great, one from the professor I do research for and have had in class, another from a professor I earned A's in several classes for, and another that was written by a physician I shadowed.

I am applying to LMU-DCOM, ETSU, Meharry, and UT Memphis for sure because of the fact they are in Tennessee. If possible 15 schools is probably about the limit of my funds by June.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That 3.1 will hurt you badly with nearly all MD schools. Have you checked your in-state schools to see what thier minimum and avg GPA requirement is>

However, you're fine for any DO school. Start with deBusk/LMUCOM.

I am just asking for advice on where to apply because of a terrible freshman year.. I will apply this coming cycle in June and am not URM

I am a Tennessee resident, and am open to going to anywhere for school. My extracurricular activities are about as follows

-tutored students in general and organic chemistry, as well as biology as a volunteer

My recommendation letters are great, one from the professor I do research for and have had in class, another from a professor I earned A's in several classes for, and another that was written by a physician I shadowed.

I am applying to LMU-DCOM, ETSU, Meharry, and UT Memphis for sure because of the fact they are in Tennessee. If possible 15 schools is probably about the limit of my funds by June.

For MD schools, consider researching these less-selective schools to see if they have sharp GPA cutoffs for OOSers, if you fulfil their specific requirements, and for your fit to their mission:

UKentucky, UArkansas, UAlabama, Toledo, Wake, Creighton (no CC credit for prereqs), Nebraska, LSU-NO, NYMC, Vermont,
Wayne, Wright, Drexel, FAU (new), Tulane, MSU (high OOS tuition), Oakland (newer in MI), Penn State (requires a research thesis), Commonwealth in Pa (seeks to train rural NE PA docs),
VCU, Louisville, Rush, UIllinois (high OOS tuition), Buffalo, EVMS, RFU, Cooper (new)

Unless you have a pattern of consistent service to underserved populations, Meharry may not be a good choice for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly think you are fine apply to both. I know friends with low gpa's and low MCAT who have gotten in to the schools they have desired. Being a TN resident myself, I though I should add that for the allopathic schools, UK and UT are really good at looking at WHO you are rather than what you are statistically. I am attending grad school in UofL and I can tell you that their admissions are kinda wild right now.

EXAMPLE: friend of mine had a 3.8 gpa from Bellarmine(four years) and a 1.5 (1 year and a half) at Dayton as an engineering major. That averages out to about a 2.77 gpa on the AMCAS scale. He didn't even get an interview at UofL and he has the top grades in our master's program, yet he was accepted with the first round of people at UK.
Just some food for thought.

As for the DO schools, applying early is the key. DEBUSK COM is awesome! I would seriously go check it out if you get the chance. They have the best technology, great admin/teachers, location is ideal for med students (peaceful/no distractions), and you can do your rotations anywhere you want in your third and fourth year.

You can also try some online collages, I know they are less strict on requirements therefore I think you have much better chances there. You can checkout http://www.onlineuticacollege.com Ive heard they are pretty good about it