Where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bauber

Pathology yo
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year currently filling out my ERAS. Other than places I want to live, how the heck do I know what programs to apply to? Do people mostly just pick the big names? I've spoken with some residents and attendings and all they seem to offer is random programs based on seemingly random experiences. ie "I interviewed there and it seemed nice." Help.

Members don't see this ad.

Try the search feature, as this has been asked before. Like any job, there are numerous factors to consider when making your rank list. As to deciding where to apply in the first place, you have to consider your goals, interests, and strength as an applicant. But to some degree, making that initial list is a bit of a crap-shoot.

Try the search feature, as this has been asked before. Like any job, there are numerous factors to consider when making your rank list. As to deciding where to apply in the first place, you have to consider your goals, interests, and strength as an applicant. But to some degree, making that initial list is a bit of a crap-shoot.

Be realistic in regards to your strength as an applicant and what programs to apply to. Also, the attendings at the brand name programs seem to have more connections which will help when it comes to jobs. Also, you should be in the area where you want to practice. If you can't do the above, you can do a fellowship at a particular brand name institution or relocate back home. Also, aim for a place with high surgical/cyto and hemepath volume. The more you see and the more cases you workup the better you will be when you go into practice.