Where to buy AAMC tests for cheaper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ponybreeder4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
on the website they are $35 a pop...thats a lot of money, but i know its worth it. So does anyone know where one can get them cheaper or shoudl i pay up?

Members don't see this ad.

on the website they are $35 a pop...thats a lot of money, but i know its worth it. So does anyone know where one can get them cheaper or shoudl i pay up?

I found out a couple weeks ago that if you email your premed adviser then you may be able to get them for $20 a piece. I think that the majority of schools should have them at this price because my school is pretty darn small.

Hope this helped,

-LIS

I found out a couple weeks ago that if you email your premed adviser then you may be able to get them for $20 a piece. I think that the majority of schools should have them at this price because my school is pretty darn small.

Hope this helped,

-LIS

Just wondering, are the AAMC tests sent to your mailbox or do they just give you a password or something to take the test on the website?

Just wondering, are the AAMC tests sent to your mailbox or do they just give you a password or something to take the test on the website?

...ferreal?

OP: this is technically a breach of contract, but i know some kids who banded together and pooled their money to buy the tests and shared the log-in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard you can get the PDF of the longer versions of what the tests used to be but that wouldn't be helpful because they would be longer and not CBT. I think you just email your premed adviser and he gives you all the access info you need. I haven't done it yet, I'm buying mine next week and I will let you guys know how it worked out for me if I remember.

-LIS

I've heard you can get the PDF of the longer versions of what the tests used to be but that wouldn't be helpful because they would be longer and not CBT. I think you just email your premed adviser and he gives you all the access info you need. I haven't done it yet, I'm buying mine next week and I will let you guys know how it worked out for me if I remember.

-LIS

Yes please let me know. I will also talk to my advisor tomorrow about it. Maybe they do sell it for $20 like you said.

Yes please let me know. I will also talk to my advisor tomorrow about it. Maybe they do sell it for $20 like you said.

Well I know for a fact they do I just haven't done it yet. Most schools should have it because my school has it and its a tiny liberal arts school. I also know because I called AAMC one day for something and one of the options was for advisors to bulk order practice MCATs. I'm guessing each department takes a bulk order at the beginning of the year or they just do it when you tell them. Either way I know it's possible. Maybe your advisor can call the AAMC number and set it up if they don't offer it already. Also, you might want to wait on actually buying them eez. They are only active for 1 year. So you might want to wait until half way through your content review.

-LIS

Last edited:
Why does AAMC charge such a hefty price for a computer file?

Should they even have the right to? Because they are like the "real" deal, and no other test prep company can offer this, they have the right to terrorize students with ridiculously high prices?

And what's with the 55$ fee to just change the date/location of your test? Is it really that hard to press a couple buttons on the computer?

If you ask me, there's something wrong with the AAMC, if not the entire medical school application process itself.

Students spend a magnanimous amount of money on the application process, and that is in regards to individual schools.

Does anybody else share my views that the AAMC are a bit like tyrants?

I'm not being cheap. I'm being reasonable.

I agree. While it should not be free, it is a shame they are trying to make money from poor pre-med students. Almost every applicant who is serious about medical school purchases these exams. lets say that a typical applicant purchases 5-6 tests for 35 dollars (~ 210). Over 35,000 people take the MCAT every year so their making close to 1 million dollars a year (very raw estimate).

source: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/2008mcatgpa.htm

IMO, the 35 dollars is overpriced. Also, I know some of you think 210 dollars is nothing compared to the total amount it will take to apply to medical school/finish med school (over 100k)--- this does not justify the high price. shame on aamc.

sadly, the test is still very valuable and the best tool we have.

Why does AAMC charge such a hefty price for a computer file?

Should they even have the right to? Because they are like the "real" deal, and no other test prep company can offer this, they have the right to terrorize students with ridiculously high prices?

And what's with the 55$ fee to just change the date/location of your test? Is it really that hard to press a couple buttons on the computer?

If you ask me, there's something wrong with the AAMC, if not the entire medical school application process itself.

Students spend a magnanimous amount of money on the application process, and that is in regards to individual schools.

Does anybody else share my views that the AAMC are a bit like tyrants?

I'm not being cheap. I'm being reasonable.
this word... i do not think it means what you think it means...

this word... i do not think it means what you think it means...

hahahahah I totally did not even know what that word meant when I used it. I just saw it somewhere before and I thought it meant "large, great" so I used it in this context.

Anyways, good points made above.

Nearly every single pre-med spends money on these tests.

I REALLY HATE IT when people argue that the costs of these things is nearly nothing compared to the overall cost. How is that a valid argument? All you just proved was that you are ignorant and make poor use of your money.

AAMC have the right to charge money for them, but not at such high stakes. These are 35 USD also. People in Canada (like me) pay about 40$ on them.

No use in arguing or complaining when you can do absolutely nothing about it. I mean what are you going to do, not buy them because they're overpriced?

-LIS

Look on amazon. I sold a few of the official books a while ago.

Did anyone ever end up checking this? I just sent an email to my premed advisor so I'll let you know as soon as I know but just wondering if anybody else tried so far.

-LIS