Where to find rental houses

Started by akitavet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

akitavet

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay so I havent ever lived anywhere but owned houses or rental apartments. Apartments are pretty easy to find because buildings advertize all the time. We want to rent a house down in Illinois but Im just not sure where to look for them. I have been looking on Craigslist, but there's still to me a degree of sketch on that site and everywhere we looked at from there has been pretty icky. Any ideas? I am headed down to Champaign this weekend to look at houses and I really want to have a good list of properties to look at when we get there.
 
Hello. I'm not in Illinois, but I was having the same problem as you are now while looking for a vet school rental in California. I did find a rental house by looking on reputable real estate companies' websites, such as Century 21, Prudential websites etc and they have a "rental" section. In addition, I grabbed the local newspaper from a Trader Joes and Albertson's and that helped. I actually found my place by searching through the Prudential real estate section under rentals and drove by the location. The realtors work for the owner of the property so no fees are involved which worked out great. You could even contact a real estate agent from Prudential etc. and they will direct you to their "rental" department, so hope this was some help. Good Luck!
Okay so I havent ever lived anywhere but owned houses or rental apartments. Apartments are pretty easy to find because buildings advertize all the time. We want to rent a house down in Illinois but Im just not sure where to look for them. I have been looking on Craigslist, but there's still to me a degree of sketch on that site and everywhere we looked at from there has been pretty icky. Any ideas? I am headed down to Champaign this weekend to look at houses and I really want to have a good list of properties to look at when we get there.
 
If I remember correcty the DI has a section on houses for rent (www.dailyillini.com) When I lived down there, that's were all my friends and I advertised for subleases, etc. Anyway, it could give you an idea of some more places.
 
Last edited: