Where to go from here? Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sir Gillies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I need some advice. I am a UK IMG 2 years post grad with an ok basic science basis.
My subject knowledge is as follow (from strong to weak)
Anatomy=surgical path= physio > medical path > immuno >>> micro > embryo > beh sci > pharm >>>>>>>> biochem

My exam will be mid january (studying on average 7 hours per day) and by now I had hoped to have gone through micro&immuno Kaplan LN and maybe RR path. Unfortunately biochem took me forever since I could remember very minimal amounts from med school.

I am also very keen to start USMLE Rx asap so that I can power through Kaplan Qbank and USMLE world before the exam.

My dilemma is one of the two options:
1) go through a first read of FA now (using kaplan LNs as a reference if needed) so that I have a basis to work on, whilst doing Rx question at the end of each chapter. Then I'll go through Kaplan LNs in those subjects i feel weak in (perhaps after an NBME)
2) stick to my plan and go through Kaplan LNs, trying to speed up the pace. Perhaps do usmle Rx at the end of each book and then a first read of FA. My main concern at this stage is that by spending lots of time on kaplan, I would end up not knowing FA inside out and will have done less questions.

From my previous experience (in postgrad exams) doing qs asap gives a good idea of what ey are testing you on and help you focus on those topics. Then again, since I have quite a few months I would love to be able to score >250 (>260 would be a dream).

I would be grateful for all the opinions you can give.
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It always mystifies me when people have anatomy as their strongest subject. It's my weakest, and I seriously wish we could sit the USMLE as a two-person team (considering biochem is one of my best).

Anyway, nobody can tell you the specifics of your own study plan, but just be sure to get through USMLE Rx, Kaplan QBank and UWorld. Do UWorld twice.

As far as the Kaplan LN, Pollux had gone through them and did incredibly well on the exam. They are overkill by every stretch of the imagination, but if you are able to retain all of that information, then it's to your advantage to just blast through them. Just be sure you get your MCQs done from the major QBanks before January.

If you manage to get through all of these resources, you might be surprised that a 260+ for you is a high possibility.

Thanks a lot Phloston, as usual your posts are very helpful!

I'd like to clarify that the idea of plan a) would be to still go through Kaplan LNs or other resources only if I have the time or if I see I need improving in a specific subject after a NBME.

Anatomy is semi fresh in my memory with surgical path and physio because I've sat my surgical exams in May, but it is surprising how much knowledge is forgotten in such a little time : (

Please any other input is also very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would find a way to obtain the Kaplan 2010 biochemistry videos. I can't recommend them enough.

STEP 1 biochemistry is very superficial relative to what you might have had to do in medical school. It's mostly clinically oriented. Focus on the diseases and metabolic regulation of rate limiting steps. Don't spend your time memorizing how many ATPs are produced by the Krebs cycle or all 10 steps of glycolysis. They don't ask those kinds of questions.

I would find a way to obtain the Kaplan 2010 biochemistry videos. I can't recommend them enough.
I'm considering watching those videos again, but I'm not sure it'll help. I've already gone through them once and added the info to my KLN, and then from there annotated details into FA. But despite 1 read through of FA there are facts that just elude me while doing questions, like B6 being required by cystathione synthase. Do you think it would help to watch the videos again or should I just stick to revising text and practising the important pathways?