Where to go from here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

.hematoma.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks!

TL;DR Soon-to-be MS2 interested in Ophthalmology and looking for perspectives on how I'm currently doing, what can be changed, etc.

I am just about ready to start MS2 at a solid state school on the west coast (will not reveal due to anonymity). I am thinking of Ophtho due to its implications globally (very into global health, will discuss), but of course I know students do change their minds often during rotations. I'm trying to create the best case scenario for myself if I do decide that I want to pursue the field, so I'd like to learn about what are some ways I can make it a reality!

A little about me:
-MS1 grades were decent, with honors (90+ or top 10-20%) in 5 of 8 courses... not sure how this really stands against others since I don't discuss grades with classmates, but a student who recently matched into Ophtho had 1-2 honors (I know it might not mean much, but this is the only comparison I have since he told me while giving advice)
-Doing my best to set myself up well for Step 1 at the end of MS2. I spent the last few weeks casually adding some notes from MS1 into FA and reading BRS lightly. I've created a plan for how I want to do as best as I can in class while incorporating Step studying/Qbanks into my routine during ms2
-I am involved in research: 1 publication during MS1 (from undergrad work, non-optho), and 5-7 international projects in progress (I will be first author on perhaps 5 all said and done, with all papers hopefully published over the next 1-2 years), 1 healthcare quality project (will be first author), and I've been trying to get a research project done at my Ophtho program, but it's been shaky since it's clinical and it's tough for the docs to take time and enroll participants (since I cannot enroll on days I'm not there). So likely no Ophtho research.
-Involved in extracurriculars, but not really at my school. As I said earlier, I'd love to pursue global health, so I've been heavily involved in that, and I founded a nonprofit that works in developing countries (will not provide details, again due to anonymity).

So, what else can I do to prepare an application for Ophthalmology? Any advice would be fabulous, and criticisms too!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Instead of trying to work on a trial, do case study, review or retrospective study. You have plenty of time to do Ophtho product, just try and find one that is doable

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @DrZeke I appreciate the advice! Yes, I'm hoping that once third year rolls around I can start getting involved with Ophtho research... at present I'm working on writing/submitting/re-submitting papers that I've written for my current work to various journals, and with board prep daily I don't think it's a great idea for me to pursue any Ophtho research at this time...

You're starting MS2? When do you take step 1, isn't it like in 10 months? Anyways I guess you know yourself best, but I had a lot more free time in 2nd year then I did in 3rd year...

You're starting MS2? When do you take step 1, isn't it like in 10 months? Anyways I guess you know yourself best, but I had a lot more free time in 2nd year then I did in 3rd year...

Yes, I just started MS2, we take the boards end of April, so not so terribly far! I will definitely think about getting on board a project with the Ophtho department!