Where to go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NowakEMT2MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'd like to give you a little background about my situation:

I'm a second semester junior. My major is economic crime investigation with a focus in computer security and information assurance. My current GPA is 3.73.

Prior to my academics at the 4 year institution I attended a community college. My GPA was 3.5 overall there.

After I complete my bachelor's degree I plan on transferring to another school to take the required science courses for med schools (I have no bio/physics/chem courses). The school I wish to transfer into has no post-bachelor program so I will have to take the science courses individually.

I'm currently a certified EMT Intermediate (was paid at one point, still volunteer). As an EMT-I I have intubated patients, administered IVs and even delivered a baby (though my certification is expiring).

I am currently a volunteer firefighter (and EMT-I at the department).

I belong to the economic crime investigation club, astronomy club and S.A.D.D club (students against destructive decisions).

I've picked up a MCAT review book just to get a feel for what the sciences are going to be like since I have no experience in them.

I have a few questions:

Am I headed on the right path?

Since I have several years before even applying to med school what can I do to improve/prepare myself?

Is it a good idea to even be looking at the MCAT book? Is there a better way to prepare myself for the sciences even before taking the actual college courses?

I'm a bit concerned about where I'll be able to get LORs from and if I'll ever be able to participate in research because I'm not going to be in a pre-med program. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you are on a good path.....I would do the best I could in my classes and then take the MCAT. I would not worry about the MCAT while in class... MCAT does not go that deep as classes usually...more about applying basics to novel passages.

Work on the ECs...volunteer more, try to get some research but it is not a necessity....shadow!!

Get LORs from science professors.....:)

Volunteering and shadowing are your first priorities, aside from classes. You already have plenty of clinical experience as an EMT-I so I suggest you volunteer in something you find really interesting, whether it's clinical or not. This is just to increase the breadth of your volunteering experiences. Research is not a necessity, but often you can get involved at research at the institution where you take your science courses. You don't need to be in a pre-med program! Finish a semester or two of science classes and then talk to some faculty to see if you can work part-time in their lab to get experience. However, that's only if you want to do research--you don't have to if you don't find it interesting at all.

Hey thanks you two for the reassuring and helpful responses, I really appreciate it.