Where To Go From Here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChrisM07

Dental Student
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am in a little predicament here and I am hoping you guys can offer me some input or advice on where to go from here. I am going to be getting my degree in geology in January. I need to take extra science classes to boost my pretty low science GPA (2.45. I know, I know, it's low).

I made a few mistakes regarding my selection of classes freshman and sophomore year and on top of that, it honestly took me two years to get a solid study method down (I never had to study for anything in high school). By the time I got all of this figured out, my science GPA has become what it is. I feel better prepared now to take the courses now, but I am afraid that it is already too late. I do have all of the prerequisites completed (minus physics 1 and 2). My outside work in the dental field is done: I have shadowed for 250 some hours over two summers and currently do volunteer work in Temple's Dental School lab (500 hours and counting). I have people who can write my recomendation letters (granted I can get that science GPA at a respectable level).

I want to apply to some sort of Post Bacc program but it seems like the programs themselves have certain requirements for admission. What is the next step for someone like me who NEEDS to take science classes to boost their science GPA (my overall GPA is a 3.0) in the event that I can't find a post bacc program to apply to? Also, are there other options that I can pursue that will allow me to take some more science classes?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!

Chris

Members don't see this ad.

I made a few mistakes regarding my selection of classes freshman and sophomore year and on top of that, it honestly took me two years to get a solid study method down (I never had to study for anything in high school). By the time I got all of this figured out, my science GPA has become what it is. I feel better prepared now to take the courses now, but I am afraid that it is already too late. I do have all of the prerequisites completed (minus physics 1 and 2). My outside work in the dental field is done: I have shadowed for 250 some hours over two summers and currently do volunteer work in Temple's Dental School lab (500 hours and counting). I have people who can write my recomendation letters (granted I can get that science GPA at a respectable level).

It took you 2 years to figure out that you were no longer in high school? You could slack off on your volunteer hours and concentrate on what really matters.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602095

No doc, I knew I wasn't in high school anymore, it just took me a long time to figure out a good study pattern. I spend about an hour or two in the lab per week during the semester but I did a lot more in the summer time.

No doc, I knew I wasn't in high school anymore, it just took me a long time to figure out a good study pattern. I spend about an hour or two in the lab per week during the semester but I did a lot more in the summer time.

hey man dont listen to any haters here, I was literally in your situation, I graduated college with a 2.5 GPA in bio. it was hell trying to get into a masters all I did was bug every little to big university, call, call, call, call, call, beg them to give you a chance and to let them show you, you can maintain the 3.0 GPA they need, but be confident, beg for an opportunity, don't beg for pity. If you get 3.7+ in your masters you are sincerely set. You will get into a dental school assuming your DAT's are all 19's across the board or higher.