Where to live at USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BroncoB

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm excited to go to USC but not sure where to live. I know the closer you are to dontown its more expensive and sometimes you can find places cheaper in the ghetto areas. I have a wife and kid so I'd probably want to avoid those areas. Any ideas where to live would be much appreciated. Also how is the metro system in LA. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

At my interview I had the same concerns/questions. The students I talked to all live fairly far away from campus and comute. Don't know about metro but the traffic is horrendous! (I was late for my interview cuz it took 1hr 25min to drive from LAX to USC!)

My brother lives in Anaheim and it's not a bad place to live and it's not too far away if you commute... however bc it seems like everyone in LA has a car and drives at the same time... it may take you longer depending on the time you leave your house. This is why I don't like the central/dt LA area.

Members don't see this ad :)
mellowt said:
My brother lives in Anaheim and it's not a bad place to live and it's not too far away if you commute... however bc it seems like everyone in LA has a car and drives at the same time... it may take you longer depending on the time you leave your house. This is why I don't like the central/dt LA area.

i live next to anaheim and i can tell you that its far away from usc. i thnk the best place to live when going to usc (atleast what im planning on doing) is living close to the beach in cities like venice, santa monica, marina del rey, playa del rey, manhatton beach, el segundo. i went to LMU and lived in playa del rey and it is a great part of town that is really close to the freeway and would take you about 30 min to get there. 10 min with no traffic but that is rare. this is what im planning on doing. good luck and maybe see you next year

BroncoB said:
I'm excited to go to USC but not sure where to live. I know the closer you are to dontown its more expensive and sometimes you can find places cheaper in the ghetto areas. I have a wife and kid so I'd probably want to avoid those areas. Any ideas where to live would be much appreciated. Also how is the metro system in LA. Thanks

I live 5 minutes from SC. Although the neighborhood is kind of getho it's very safe around here and whenever I feel like studying in the library I know that I'll get there in 5 minutes since I don't take the freeway...I have a roomate and pay $200 bucks a month with utilities paid. Make sure you don't get consumed with rent; SC is already expensive as it is to add insult to injury. Good luck

TeethVader said:
I live 5 minutes from SC. Although the neighborhood is kind of getho it's very safe around here and whenever I feel like studying in the library I know that I'll get there in 5 minutes since I don't take the freeway...I have a roomate and pay $200 bucks a month with utilities paid. Make sure you don't get consumed with rent; SC is already expensive as it is to add insult to injury. Good luck

$200 is really cheap, esp. for L.A.

vaio said:
$200 is really cheap, esp. for L.A.

Hell! I know...I found this room through a friend of mine and like I said, I live very close to school and best of all...I don't commute. Many of my classmates have to go through hell (30min -1hour commutes) just because they refuse to live in the city; honestly, I don't mind. Like I said, where I live the people are not the Beverly Hills type; but, are honest, hard-working families. I really don't mind the environment and actually enjoy this neighborhood, especially when I only have to pay $200 bucks, utilities included...Cheers!
P.S. I am already becoming friends to some people in the neighborhood since, coming senior year I'll need all the patients I can get....well, what better way to help my community than to help them reach a better oral health and at the same time they help me fullfill the prerequisites for graduation....is a win-win situation.

TeethVader said:
I live 5 minutes from SC.

what city do u live in...just wondering because i know some of the places 5 min away are pretty bad areas. thanks

BroncoB said:

hey bronco, for some insight on la. check out living in south pasadena and/or pasadena. also check out highland park. both are about 15-20 mins north of the sc campus right off of the 110 freeway. living around the campus and downtown is expensive and a bit sketchy once the sun goes down. especially with a wife and kids i'd probably avoid these spots. another thing, if you are for sure heading to SC, a car is probably in your future. la is so spread out and relying on metro is just a no no.

i live in west LA right now, and after some serious consideration regarding the surrounding neighborhood, i just don't feel safe living close to campus as a woman, especially at night. so as of right now, i plan on living in west la and commuting - i talked to someone who lives in brentwood and goes to USC, and he said that the drive takes about 20 min in the morning and 25 in the evening. definitely doable for the exchange i get in safety and proximity to the water.

i'm also not sure i could share a room with someone either -- props to you, teethvader. i wish i could, cause $200/mo is ridiculous, and i don't know anyone who is doing it for that cheap in LA.

are there any other ladies out there planning to go to USC? holler at your girl - maybe we can brainstorm possible living situations...

Thanks for all the posts. I'll be seeing you guys next fall

Try South Pasadena -
or, there are a lot of lofts being built right now in downtown LA. You may be able to rent something or even be able to buy something (if your parents can help you with the down payment). I looked at some of the lofts - they start in the $300,000 for a small studio.

I am having the same dilemma with living arrangements. Where to live? The problem I have is that my wife will be attending Loma Linda's PA school. We are planning on splitting the drive time in half. Not being from Southern CA, I don't know the traffic patterns (all I know is that whenever I am down there, the traffic is crazy). Right now, I am looking at LaVerne. Reasonable?

BroncoB said:

Once again i did my BS at USC. Everywhere around the campus is ghetto... If you dotn mind driving 20 min check out the beach cities... Manhattan is the most expensive... Rendondo Beach is probably the best.
There is NO public transportation so it is not an option. Nothing goes up to USC.

tsgalloway said:
I am having the same dilemma with living arrangements. Where to live? The problem I have is that my wife will be attending Loma Linda's PA school. We are planning on splitting the drive time in half. Not being from Southern CA, I don't know the traffic patterns (all I know is that whenever I am down there, the traffic is crazy). Right now, I am looking at LaVerne. Reasonable?

I'm nto sure wehre LaVerne is... you should live closer to LA if you want to split traffic patterns time wise. Traffic goes TOWARDS LA in the morning... ESPECIALLY from riverside and orange county.