Where to shadow/volunteer?

Started by DRCM
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DRCM

DRCM
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know of any dentists, specialists, or dental offices in NYC to shadow/volunteer with? I know there's hospitals, but elsewhere? All dentists I speak to don't allow shadowing, and a lot of offices don't either. I want to be able to have a lot of dental experiences for my resume, but I can't find any besides the hospital. Thanks!
 
Try googling "your city" + "free dental clinic" along with other variations. Dentists who work in volunteer settings usually are more helpful.

But you really need to find someone in a private practice, so keep trying. First check your regular dentist, then inquire with friends/family if they no anyone. If not, try walking into random offices and explaining your situation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I lived in NYC before, but shadowing in places like NYC where appointments are up the roof becomes impossible. The offices are cramp small, and shadowing hours would be hard. I couldn't shadow a dentist ever there. I shadowed where I went to school, which is upstate, and it was nice because the dentists there aren't too busy to teach you valuable things. 👍

I'm currently in NYC right now working in a dental lab. It's kinda fun actually, and a great way to get actual HANDS on technique. Unfortunately, they're filled with positions and allow shadowing ONLY if they have openings so I can't introduce you or anything. Good luck.
 
Well, thanks to 2 of the 3 people who responded above. Yes, it's soooo hard to find a dentist to shadow in NYC. I mean, NYC is not like many other places because its ALWAYS busy, etc etc (we all know that though, hence it being the "capital of the world"). And the specific borough I live in doesn't have and free dental clinics, which sucks. My friends/family know nothing about it. So I guess I'll just keep trying. I'm sure something will eventually turn up for me when the time is right.