Where to start.. currently in law school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narcis1991

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi people,

I hope you are all doing very well. I'd love to hear some advice coming from people that are in the medical field.

So who am I?
I am 24, currently in law school (doing bachelors, next year master) and live in the netherlands.

Ever since I was little I wanted to pursue medicine. I tried 2 times (after high school); the first year and the year after that. Unfortunately we have a lotery system here..which in essence means you let the institution know that you want to pursue medicine/dentistry and they let the computer decide which of the (yearly) 6000 participants get chosen..they only have about 1200 seats for the whole country.
Like that wasn't enough.. In the netherlands we have the rule that you can only apply for med school 3 times (for the rest of your life), and the same goes for dentistry.

To make a long story short.. now that I will be finishing up law school next year.. I still have that ''itch'' to become a doctor.. I just always thought that if I pursued law..I would slightly forget about med school..but I feel my heart is still there... directly helping people with a hands-on approach,.

So what should I do...
I still got three chances for dentistry and one for med school.

Should I go for it?
And when should I apply...
-after law school (masters)?
-or after my bachelors..?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Oh, nvm...completely misread your post.

edit: I'd say finish your masters, that way if you start med school and realize that it wasn't all you dreamed, and that you, in fact, prefer Law, you'll have an easy out.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really glad I don't live in the netherlands. Lottery system for school? Rubbish.

We all live in the United States, so :shrug:.
does that make a difference? :) I think the same situation could happen for someone in the US.
There should be examples of people that are in law school..and want to be a doctor..?

I just don't what is a wise decision. Pursuing it this year..or next year

does that make a difference? :) I think the same situation could happen for someone in the US.
There should be examples of people that are in law school..and want to be a doctor..?

Your situation is completely different from the US system, so advice you will get from here may or may not be good advice for you. Bottom line, if you want to be a doctor, try to get into med school. Your best way to maximize your chances? I have no clue.

Reactions: 1 users
Your situation is completely different from the US system, so advice you will get from here may or may not be good advice for you. Bottom line, if you want to be a doctor, try to get into med school. Your best way to maximize your chances? I have no clue.

Get it.. thanks for the reply : ).

Failing to get picked by a lottery system is not a "situation that could happen for someone in the U.S." Like has already been said, there are virtually zero people on here that informed about the lottery system in the Netherlands or how to increase your odds of being picked.

Best of luck.