Where to start?

Started by Clarus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Clarus

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering where to start with my pre-dental reqs? I already have my undergraduate degree in psychology and biological sciences but haven't taken the DAT (which ill be putting a great deal of focus into for the next couple of months). My undergrad cGPA was a 3.18 and sGPA was a 2.8. I did a post bacc and that cGPA was a 2.58. I know at this point that my DAT, volunteer/shadowing hours and letters of recommendation will be a make or break for me going towards dental school.

Any tips, suggestions or timelines I should follow? I'm trying to apply for the upcoming application cycle that happening this year for Fall 2017 start date.
 
My first semester was rough because I moved from living at home for the very first time in my life and had to readjust to a new living environment. The place I was living at was with a lot of students (5+) and it wasn't very hospitable. I ended up struggle in managing time and the coursework and trying to find a place to live within the span of 4 months. I ended up living in 4 different places and had to move, pack, unpack each time and deal with landlords and the like. My second semester, I picked up my grades but unfortunately they weren't good enough to what I wanted my overall GPA. I did better, but not the best I can do.
 
You're definitely going to need another long post bacc or SMP before being considered for interviews. You'll need to retake any core classes you did worse than a C in as well as take several higher division courses and ace everything (3.9+). A post bacc is supposed to demonstrate improvement; in your case it demonstrated you're becoming weaker as a student. That really doesn't look good. I don't say this often, but unless you get a 27 or higher on the DAT, you will not be considered at all/your chances are zero for the fall 2017 martriculation cycle. I suspect you'll need an absolute minimum of one year of 3.9+s in science courses to make up for your gpa to an extent.