Where to start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kapoor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just took Kaplan's diagonostic test at their center today and i haven't started studying for DAt yet.
My Scores were:

BIO:15
G. CHEM : 11
O. CHEM : 12
QR: 16
RC: 12

I am in the middle of my Bio II class, have not taken any chemistry classes yet, but remember few things from my high school chemistry class and took that about 5 years back.

I m full time student this term and new mom. waiting for my classes to get over so, i can spend my summer for studying DAT, as i will not be taking any class in summer except general chemistry I.

But i am very confused, have all kaplan's class room material and Cliff's AP Bio. what should i study first? i tried kaplan's review notes but felt v disappointed, as i was not getting anything. Cliff's AP bio is more helpful

Anyone have any idea, how is Cliff's chemistry book, and do they have any for Math??

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely start with general chemistry

Hi,

I just took Kaplan's diagonostic test at their center today and i haven't started studying for DAt yet.
My Scores were:

BIO:15
G. CHEM : 11
O. CHEM : 12
QR: 16
RC: 12

I am in the middle of my Bio II class, have not taken any chemistry classes yet, but remember few things from my high school chemistry class and took that about 5 years back.

I m full time student this term and new mom. waiting for my classes to get over so, i can spend my summer for studying DAT, as i will not be taking any class in summer except general chemistry I.

But i am very confused, have all kaplan's class room material and Cliff's AP Bio. what should i study first? i tried kaplan's review notes but felt v disappointed, as i was not getting anything. Cliff's AP bio is more helpful

Anyone have any idea, how is Cliff's chemistry book, and do they have any for Math??

Thanks in advance.

Don't worry, nearly everyone gets just about everything below 15 on their Kaplan Diagnostic (probably so you want to buy their product even more!). I got like a 12 in Ochem and a 13 in Gchem and Bio, and I got a 22AA on the actual test, so this doesn't mean you're doomed!

Are you planning on applying for the D1 Class of Fall 2010 or 2011? If you haven't taken Organic Chemistry yet, I'd be very cautious about the DAT, Ochem is very difficult for many people to learn (including myself!).

Here's the big tip that helped me: if you're not getting anything out of the Kaplan Blue Book right now, start using the Online material that came with the class - that is where I learned most everything I did through Kaplan. You do the workshops and then the section tests and you can read why you got practice questions wrong, and they have very good explanations. I always found that my best way of learning was from learning from my mistakes, so this helped me a ton!

Also, just reading through the big kaplan book isn't very helpful, I found that it would all just fall right out of my head after an hour or so. What worked a little better for me was I just started outlining everything I didn't know cold - this is especially true for biology.

Since you haven't taken Chem yet, I'd suggest to start working on improving your bio scores first. Or, just follow along with the Kaplan Lesson plan, it's very structured.

Good luck, and keep on keeping on! If you want to be a dentist badly enough you'll get into dental school eventually if you do your best!

If you have taken all the core classes for the DAT and dental school (e.g. Ochem and Gchem), then i would get my hands on the DAT Destroyer. The book is gold for ochem and gchem. Also for bio review cliffs a.p . bio and for pat use crack the dat pat

Members don't see this ad :)
Vicviper, did you get those chemistry scores after you had taken all of your chemistry classes(I ask because I took the diagnostic after taking all my chemistry classes)???

check out DAT STORY below ... i blew it my first try and had to retake

For the chemistries, I use Kaplan BB and if something is unclear I go back to old notes or textbooks. But knowing the information is just not enough. You need to do a lot of practice to familiarize yourself with the format of the exam and help you with a lot of practice problems. I recommend Destroyer and Topscore afterwards when you have a solid foundation. Congrats & Best of luck!