Where to stay in Boston?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hop Toad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Boston at all. I'll be at BWH the beginning of the week and MGH at the end. Is staying at the same hotel all week convenient? Any suggestions of where I should consider first?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Ever heard of Hotels.com?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Hop Toad
I'm not familiar with Boston at all. I'll be at BWH the beginning of the week and MGH at the end. Is staying at the same hotel all week convenient? Any suggestions of where I should consider first?

Thanks

They are close enough to each other that either one is a convenient cab or train ride away.

But both of them are in areas that have many, albeit, expensive hotels.

Brigham's is in the Longwood medical area - on the Boston/Brookline line. Massive Genital is near Boston's Government Center.

Both are near beaucoup restaraunts and shops - though MGH is close to the touristy type crap.

If you're trying to stay on the cheap, I'd suggest finding a hotel away from both hospitals, and make up in cab fare.

Actually, if the HoJo's in Kenmore Square still exists, it's a reasonable distance from both, and not as expensive. Though I think BU may have bought it for dorms. Somerville on the Cambridge side would be cheaper still, and close to Cambridge for night life.

Good luck.

To me, it seems like a FEW people on the UBB want to boast and show us how big their shlong is by letting us know that they will be interviewing at Harvard-affiliated med schools. :rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more.

As far as I know, lodging in Boston is pretty expensive. If you're willing to pay $100+ a night, I've heard of a few places -- PM me and I'll send you the info I have.

Check out Priceline.com. I got a great hotel for $55/night.

There is a Holiday Inn between Brigham and BIDMC (on Longwood). You can take the Partners shuttle from there (it leaves from the covered bus stop across from Brigham) to MGH, its free for everyone, it takes about 20 minutes q15min, and drops you right in front of the amb care wing.

Thank you very much for your responses. I think the Holiday Inn sounds best, but I had another option pop up this week. Someone has offered space to stay on the Harvard campus. Is this too far away to be practical? I have no clue where the main college is in relation to the Boston hospitals. Would a free place to stay be worth the hassle and cab fares?

Thanks again.

Cabs are a fortune. The college, in Harvard Square, is closer to MGH. You can actually use the red line (T) to get from Harvard Square to Charles/MGH (~3 stops) which is easy, direct and will only cost $1 per trip. The MGH stop is a short walk to the main entrance. You can also take the red line from Harvard Square to Park Street transfer to the green line (the E train) to get to Brigham (Brigham Circle stop).

There is also a shuttle (M2) from Harvard square to Harvard Med Scholl (right near Brigham) but without a student ID you need a ticket which your friend may be able to help you get.

I'd splurge on the hotel just because it would end up being more comfortable and convenient. I don't remember what their rate was, I think its $150/night.

By the way, I made a mistake earlier. It is not a Holiday Inn on Longwood, it is a Best Western. There is a Holiday Inn near MGH. I mixed them up.

Save yourself some cash and use Priceline. Many from our school have done so to secure great deals in Boston. Stay in the nicest area of the city, Back Bay/Copley. You will be 10-15min by T from B&W, BI, and MGH. You can get a nice 3* (not 2* like Best Western) for $50-60. You might as well travel in style at less than half the price of a motel like Best Western!

I have no experience with these websites... but if such deals exist at the nice hotels like the copley (which is closer to MGH via the T) you can even take a cab with all the money you'll save. Although if you want, the Partners shuttle even stops at the prudential center q15 and its about 7 min from MGH.

I would also recommend checking out Priceline.com. There, you can specify approximate locations within cities, and I've been able to get really good deals (~$50 hotel rooms) at places that normall charge 100 or more.

heck, you could've crashed on my couch for free.

I used priceline.com and stayed at the Marroit in Copley Square for $55/night!!! :clap:

Hop Toad said:
Thank you very much for your responses. I think the Holiday Inn sounds best, but I had another option pop up this week. Someone has offered space to stay on the Harvard campus. Is this too far away to be practical? I have no clue where the main college is in relation to the Boston hospitals. Would a free place to stay be worth the hassle and cab fares?

Thanks again.

hop toad

dude said:
Hi,

I have been reading your posts and response, and I have found them to the point and very helpful. I will be starting med school in fall 2005, and would like your permission to ask you a few questions. Is that ok?

Thanks.

Thats what this place is for-- why not just start a new thread? where in Boston are you starting med school?

So Hop Toad, I forgot if you were doing residency at BW or MGH. Could you comment on why you ranked one over the other?

jeez, why not just buy a one-week pass for the T?????