Where to stay near UCSF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post (I also posted this in the General Residency forum) but I was unsure where the best place to post this would be. I am doing a rotation at UCSF from 9/18-10/15 and am in need of advice regarding short-term housing while I'm there. I looked through UCSF's website for short term housing and was wondering if anyone had any experience with their listed option OR knew of any other options for a one-month stay. I won't have a car so I'd need to be near public transportation or a hospital shuttle stop (I'll be at the Parnassus campus). Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

grit said:
Sorry for the double post (I also posted this in the General Residency forum) but I was unsure where the best place to post this would be. I am doing a rotation at UCSF from 9/18-10/15 and am in need of advice regarding short-term housing while I'm there. I looked through UCSF's website for short term housing and was wondering if anyone had any experience with their listed option OR knew of any other options for a one-month stay. I won't have a car so I'd need to be near public transportation or a hospital shuttle stop (I'll be at the Parnassus campus). Thanks in advance.

If you wont have a car, you'll want to stay pretty close. Two neighborhoods within walking distance would be the inner sunset (area directly around Moffitt-Long Hospital) and cole valley (immediately east of the main campus). I have lived in both. The inner sunset can be quite foggy, but is full of restaurants, bars, and coffee houses which makes living there nice. Cole Valley is a little quieter, with a single street possessing numerous restaurants, bars, and coffee houses. Cole Valley is also immediately adjacent to Haight-Ashbury, which is another source of entertainment. Both of these areas are within a short walk of the N train which can take you east to downtown or further west to Ocean beach. Both areas are also in close proximity to Golden Gate park.

To find a place, you should check out www.craigslist.org for sublets, I'm sure you'll be able to find something. Good luck.

UCSFbound said:
If you wont have a car, you'll want to stay pretty close. Two neighborhoods within walking distance would be the inner sunset (area directly around Moffitt-Long Hospital) and cole valley (immediately east of the main campus). I have lived in both. The inner sunset can be quite foggy, but is full of restaurants, bars, and coffee houses which makes living there nice. Cole Valley is a little quieter, with a single street possessing numerous restaurants, bars, and coffee houses. Cole Valley is also immediately adjacent to Haight-Ashbury, which is another source of entertainment. Both of these areas are within a short walk of the N train which can take you east to downtown or further west to Ocean beach. Both areas are also in close proximity to Golden Gate park.

To find a place, you should check out www.craigslist.org for sublets, I'm sure you'll be able to find something. Good luck.

This is awesome. Thanks!