where to take a summer class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MalibuPreMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to Pepperdine, which is a mid-tier school. I know that adcoms take into account the difficulty level of an institution when making decisions.

I have to take a summer calculus class at another school, it is not offered during the summer at my school, and I really don't want to take it next year (I'll be graduating, finishing an honors thesis, and studying for the mcat. I'll be applying next cycle). My question is: Should I pay to take the class at UCLA/USC or should I take it at Santa Monica (a community college).

I'm working my tail off in school (I've maintained 3.95 GPA cum/sci) for the last two years (A's in Organic, Gchem 2 Micro, Chemistry, Biostats, Physics (retake of first semester); A- in Biochemistry), but my GPA is low (3.55 cum, 3.3 Sci) from a medical problem I had my second semester, which was fall of 2006 (I was taking 18 units, ended up withdrawing from Calculus and getting a C in physics and B in Zoology. Next semester I got a C- in physics and B in a botony class).

Anyway, since my GPA is low and that I've already withdrawn from a calculus class, should I bite the bullet and take the course at a good school to show the adcoms that I can succeed in the class at a high level? Would you recommend taking calc 2 to show them that I can handle more advanced math classes?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

mods, please delete this thread. I'm going to ask in the main forum. I think I'll get more replies there. I apologize for double-posting.