Whether or not to put down BioChem as planned/in progress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UpwardTrend

Post Baccin it up
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All this chatter about BioChem requirement at a few schools...

I'm wondering if I should mark it down as planned/in progress on the primary application. Is this the only way that the schools requiring it would consider my application? I just don't want to have to take it if I get into a school that does not require it as a pre-req.

Members don't see this ad.

If you aren't going to take it, then why even apply to the schools that require it? If it's required, you will have to take and pass it before matriculating. So if you want to apply to the schools that require it, mark as "planned/in progress" and take it. For the schools that don't require it, it can only benefit you by showing them that you did well in it.

There's also been some chatter about online biochem.

I think it's a good course to take. Because you don't want to be completely shocked and surprised once you're taking biochem in med school. I'm glad I took it.

If you don't want to feel alone in this, I am doing exactly what you just described. I need to apply broadly, so I want to be able to apply to the schools that require it (or strongly recommend it) and not be screened out. Then, like you say, if I get accepted to a school that doesn't require it, I won't take it. If I get accepted to a biochem-requiring-school, then I shall take it in Spring 2013. That is how I listed it on my primary AACOMAS application.
I may get a million insults from SDN members for this, but I personally think it is a wise decision based on the complexity of my situation, which I will not go into any further here.
At the end of the day, do what you feel is best! But know that you are not the only one doing this. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you aren't going to take it, then why even apply to the schools that require it? If it's required, you will have to take and pass it before matriculating. So if you want to apply to the schools that require it, mark as "planned/in progress" and take it. For the schools that don't require it, it can only benefit you by showing them that you did well in it.

There's also been some chatter about online biochem.

I think it's a good course to take. Because you don't want to be completely shocked and surprised once you're taking biochem in med school. I'm glad I took it.

Did you do the UNE online one? I guess it prepared you decently well for med school biochem?

If you don't want to feel alone in this, I am doing exactly what you just described. I need to apply broadly, so I want to be able to apply to the schools that require it (or strongly recommend it) and not be screened out. Then, like you say, if I get accepted to a school that doesn't require it, I won't take it. If I get accepted to a biochem-requiring-school, then I shall take it in Spring 2013. That is how I listed it on my primary AACOMAS application.
I may get a million insults from SDN members for this, but I personally think it is a wise decision based on the complexity of my situation, which I will not go into any further here.
At the end of the day, do what you feel is best! But know that you are not the only one doing this. :)

I would just take it either way if you can finance it. But that's just me. Better preparation for med school biochem.

Best of luck to you this cycle.

cant you just put planned and if you get into a school that doesnt require it, withdraw?