Whether should I take more classes or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medgoal2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for taking your time giving me advices on what route I should be taking.

I graduated with Biochemistry and Biological System Engineering degrees in December 2015 at University of Nebraska-Lincoln . My cGPA was 3.34 and sGPA is 3.6x (if I classified some of my engineering courses under BCPM). I initially have no plan of going into medicine. However, my experience volunteering at a clinical department of a people in need program at my city sparked my interest (and still is). I decided to go back to college and raise my GPA. Here what I have done so far:

Fall 2017: I got all As in my 11 hour credits (including A+ for Anatomy with cadaver program)
Spring 2018: I got A+ in all my classes except for one which is an A (20 hour credits)
Fall 2018: I'm on track on getting all A in my 18 hour credits semester (courses including immunology, biology of virus, and molecular genetic; I think I might get all A+ in these courses... hope this is the case)
Spring 2019: I registered for 19 hour credits semester (courses include molecular biology, bioinformatic, and behavior neuroscience)

I am deciding to whether to take more classes during the Fall 2019 or not... Please advise me on whether I should shoot for 3.6 GPA (require additional 13 credit hours of all As after the Spring 2019) or stop taking classes and work more on MCAT and volunteering more.

For the 13 credit hours: I'm planning on taking System Biology, Functional Histology (with lab), Inorganic Chemistry (with lab), and Endocrinology.

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
After Spring what is your GPA looking like? You could study all summer and fall and take an early January MCAT. Then take a spring semester or strengthen ECs and apply in June.

Or you could build ECs over the summer, take the above fall courses and start December MCAT prep for like a early May MCAT, and apply the same June.

You need to work in strong ECs and not rush them last minute. I’m talking volunteer and clinical hours, maybe pick up a scribe job. I wouldn’t worry about research a whole lot if you are going to shoot for all the mid/low tier MDs

Reactions: 1 user
A few thoughts:

What will your GPA be after this fall semester? What would it be assuming straight As in the spring?

I see you're taking inorganic chemistry. Just FYI, if this is a retake course, you will have to average in the grade you got initially with whatever you get the second time around. Frankly, unless you got below a C in inorganic chem the first time, I'd strongly suggest NOT retaking this course.

Your graduating GPAs were honestly not bad. A decent MCAT with what they were and you'd have a good shot at DO schools.

If you take the courses you're planning to next summer and ace them, then thats 70 credits of near 4.0 work.. that's enough to show reinvention regardless of whether or not your cGPA hits a certain point.

If I were you, I'd start thinking MCAT and clinical hours. I'm honestly not even sure you need next spring semester. You should calculate what your GPAs are right now after the post bacc work you've done. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
@Blanky Thanks for your response! My cGPA after Spring 2018 will be 3.578 and BCPM is 3.61. I might take the second route you mentioned! Also did AMCAS counted your Behavior Neuroscience course (listed as BIO in my catalog) as BCPM mind if I ask?

@workaholic181 Thanks for your response also! and no I have not taken Inorganic chem (I want to take it to show my diverse knowledge aside from just biology and biochem) My cGPA after Fall (on track of getting all As) is 3.539 cGPA and 3.602 for BCPM. And yes I'm planning to broaden my net to even DO schools! and like all of us... MD is the primary goal!

Last edited: