Medical Which adversity essay topic should I write about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are a few incidents in my life that I could expand upon for adversity essay prompts... but I don't know if these topics are a bit too much and not considered appropriate to write about. I really appreciate your input :)
1) Death of a close friend in senior year of high school. It was a huge blow to our whole class to experience the death of a classmate that young, and we started a small charity in her name and honor
2) In college, a mentor that I closely worked with on a project was arrested for a sex-related crime. I took this incredibly hard, experienced some secondary trauma, had to see a therapist and also let it affect my project and my grades. I was eventually able to come back to my project and get to a better place with my mental health, but it was a rough situation for a few month
3) As a POC, I experienced racism on off-campus housing. Without going into specifics, the situation escalated to a point that I did not feel comfortable staying in my own home and I lived with my friend for 3 weeks.
Usually when I read adversity stories, I want to see how the person was disadvantaged and how he/she overcame those challenges. To that end, 1 and 2 do nothing for me, and 3 seems to check a box but the solution doesn't seem to demonstrate being in any real trouble even though there may be something there but is redacted.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense.. I guess, it is not so much about the specific adversity, but more how it affected the applicant and how the applicant overcame it and was strengthened by it... I can expand on these points for 3. Agree with you about the others, thank you!
I'm 3> 2> 1. What you need to do is demonstrate what your coping skills were.

Status
Not open for further replies.