which are best carib schools schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiveLife

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can you tell me which one of the carribean schools are the best and if they are accredited in us in all states, and so on...
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've gathered going to any Caribbean school is a risky endeavor if you wish to gain a residency in the US. Why not consider DO schools? DO's are guaranteed a residency and practice rights in the US and the average stats for admission to these schools is lower than that for Allopathic programs (although not nearly as low as those of Caribbean schools). Hey and if tropical climates are your thing NSUCOM is in Florida.

Ross and St. George are name brand Carribean schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would agree with the two schools SanDiegoSOD mentioned. SGU and Ross probably have the best success of the Caribbean med schools. After that, American University of the Caribbean, Saba, and then St. Matt's.

I'm moving this to the Caribbean forum before this turns into another ugly MD vs. DO war :D

I have found that reading the boards tends to give you more information than asking a question that has been asked so many times that most people ignore it.

One thing to keep in mind when considering the Caribbean is that the more research you do the more you realize what you are getting yourself into.

So you, guys, adivse not to go to Carib schools at all? I mean St.George's says that 90% of their graduates get residency in US, but again it's biased-they have to say that so students go there.
I mean what other options do I have with a low GPA (3.35)??? :confused:

Nothing wrong with the Caribbean except 1) some stigma by ignoramuses (though there are many) and 2) you would need to do better on USMLE I than a US grad for any particular res slot, i.e., you can't be set on a particular res location or expect to get into a competitive field, not to say it's impossible, since there are countless counter-examples, but it's extra burdensome than US (allo or DO).

Another option with a 3.3, if you get above a 24 in order to at least get an interview (upper 20s to be a solid candidate), is Australia. The main burden there is studying extra basic science in order to sit USMLE. N americans there tend to be a bit more laid back, not as competitive, and not single-mindedly obsessed w/ returning asap (Oz usu chosen in part as a lifestyle choice).

Also look into the 5th Pathway in Ireland.

NYSnitch said:
So you, guys, adivse not to go to Carib schools at all? I mean St.George's says that 90% of their graduates get residency in US, but again it's biased-they have to say that so students go there.

pitman mentioned some of the more important disadvantages of a Caribbean education, but there are some other major disadvantages. These disadvantages can vary from one school to another. For example, an education from one of the less established Caribbean schools may restrict you from obtaining a license in some states. This is one reason why you will hear certain schools (e.g., SGU, Ross, AUC, Saba) described as the more popular and better choices.

US DO schools are typically less selective than US MD schools. I understand that the osteopathic education isn't for everybody and that's fine, but it's worth a look if you haven't already done some research on it.

Also, postbaccalaureate enhancement programs at both the undergraduate and graduate level can improve your academic record to make you more competitive for US schools.

I know people on SDN with GPAs <3.0 that have successfully obtained admission to US allopathic schools. If you have a low GPA, you simply need to do what is necessary to prove you're med school material (e.g., high MCAT, amazing extracurriculars, and superb postbac performance).

Best schools in the Caribbean are:
SGU, AUC, Ross, and SABA.

You can be licenced in all states with these schools. If you do well on the USMLE Step 1, you can land a good residency.

NYSnitch said:

Asking which schools are the best will get you some biased answers. I graduated from sgu last year and I thought it was a great school because it got me where I wanted to be. I thought the education I received was very good, the school had good labs, library, and such. However, the island was not the best place to be on, and there was a handful of students who would pronounce you dead while you're sleeping just to get ahead. However, in terms of education and becoming a good physician, the school will provide you with the necessary tools.

If you're going to go to a caribbean school go to either sgu, ross, auc, or saba. However, each of these schools has flaws (location, teaching, clinical administration, etc.). I have nothing against other schools, but the above four schools are well established and have a good track record. This is one of the most important things when it comes to getting a residency. For example, there are thousands of sgu/ross/auc graduates that are practicing medicine, and they have established a name for these schools. How many graduates are practicing from xavier? Let's say you graduate from such a school with really good usmle scores, but noone has ever heard of the school you went to. Getting a residency is more than just orthopedics vs IM, it's how good the program is. Life is not a tv show, do not think that if you're interested in EM you can get a residency in some county hospital and learn a lot there because there is so much going on. During your first two years of residency you're still learning and perfecting your clinical skills, and you want someone good to teach you.

With your gpa you should go back to school for one more year, take ~40 credits and improve your gpa. The average gpa of accepted students to a u.s. school is ~3.5. You should know that this means that there are many students that get accepted with a gpa >3.5 and many with a gpa <3.5. In fact, there have been students who got accepted with <3.0, you just have to apply to many different schools. Take the year to take more classes to improve your gpa, get some research/volunteering, better lor's, maybe improve your mcat, and you will most likely get in. Medical schools don't just look at your numbers, they look at your entire application. If you can show them that your grades are on the upward trend, you have a very good chance of getting in. And also don't forget about DO schools, their acceptance statistics are slightly lower than allopathic schools.