Which are the best internship sites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psycholytic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which are the best internship sites for someone who wants to work in hospital settings and later primary care; --and who likes research, teaching, as well as practical work?

Internship at a STATE HOSPITAL?

Some other thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hospital affiliated with a med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pick a focus. You can't do it all on internship, or in your professional life. There's a reason most clinicians aren't researchers and most researchers aren't clinicians -- either occupation takes full-time effort.

If you want to work in a hospital as a psychologist, your best bet is to work in a hospital on internship. This is pretty much the standard for anyone -- pick an internship that is consistent with your overall career goals. No point in working in a university counseling center if you have no desire to do that as your career (although a practicum rotation in one can't hurt).

Having said that, it's been my experience that VAs are great hospital environments to work in in most locales. Psychologists are well-respected in most VAs, and are given as much due as medical doctors.

John

Pick a focus. You can't do it all on internship, or in your professional life. There's a reason most clinicians aren't researchers and most researchers aren't clinicians -- either occupation takes full-time effort.

If you want to work in a hospital as a psychologist, your best bet is to work in a hospital on internship. This is pretty much the standard for anyone -- pick an internship that is consistent with your overall career goals. No point in working in a university counseling center if you have no desire to do that as your career (although a practicum rotation in one can't hurt).

Having said that, it's been my experience that VAs are great hospital environments to work in in most locales. Psychologists are well-respected in most VAs, and are given as much due as medical doctors.

John

Thanks John

I think I was aiming in the right direction (hospital). Va is a great idea, espacially since I have one almost across the street, but don't one has to be a citizen to work there? I am a resident.

I would however like to also work at a community college and teach psychology. I have great contacts there. Do you think it will be hard to teach 2 days and work at a hospital the other 3-4?

Thanks John

I think I was aiming in the right direction (hospital). Va is a great idea, espacially since I have one almost across the street, but don't one has to be a citizen to work there? I am a resident.

I would however like to also work at a community college and teach psychology. I have great contacts there. Do you think it will be hard to teach 2 days and work at a hospital the other 3-4?

We have several adjuncts who teach 2-3 days/week although they work in clinical/hospital settings all week. So, yes, it can be done.

We have several adjuncts who teach 2-3 days/week although they work in clinical/hospital settings all week. So, yes, it can be done.

That's what I thought. Great to know! Thanks.