psycholytic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Which are the best internship sites for someone who wants to work in hospital settings and later primary care; --and who likes research, teaching, as well as practical work?

Internship at a STATE HOSPITAL?

Some other thoughts?

About the Ads

docjohng

Founder & CEO, PsychCentral.com
10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2006
Greater Boston
psychcentral.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
Pick a focus. You can't do it all on internship, or in your professional life. There's a reason most clinicians aren't researchers and most researchers aren't clinicians -- either occupation takes full-time effort.

If you want to work in a hospital as a psychologist, your best bet is to work in a hospital on internship. This is pretty much the standard for anyone -- pick an internship that is consistent with your overall career goals. No point in working in a university counseling center if you have no desire to do that as your career (although a practicum rotation in one can't hurt).

Having said that, it's been my experience that VAs are great hospital environments to work in in most locales. Psychologists are well-respected in most VAs, and are given as much due as medical doctors.

John

psycholytic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
Pick a focus. You can't do it all on internship, or in your professional life. There's a reason most clinicians aren't researchers and most researchers aren't clinicians -- either occupation takes full-time effort.

If you want to work in a hospital as a psychologist, your best bet is to work in a hospital on internship. This is pretty much the standard for anyone -- pick an internship that is consistent with your overall career goals. No point in working in a university counseling center if you have no desire to do that as your career (although a practicum rotation in one can't hurt).

Having said that, it's been my experience that VAs are great hospital environments to work in in most locales. Psychologists are well-respected in most VAs, and are given as much due as medical doctors.

John

Thanks John

I think I was aiming in the right direction (hospital). Va is a great idea, espacially since I have one almost across the street, but don't one has to be a citizen to work there? I am a resident.

I would however like to also work at a community college and teach psychology. I have great contacts there. Do you think it will be hard to teach 2 days and work at a hospital the other 3-4?

paramour

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Status (Visible)
Thanks John

I think I was aiming in the right direction (hospital). Va is a great idea, espacially since I have one almost across the street, but don't one has to be a citizen to work there? I am a resident.

I would however like to also work at a community college and teach psychology. I have great contacts there. Do you think it will be hard to teach 2 days and work at a hospital the other 3-4?

We have several adjuncts who teach 2-3 days/week although they work in clinical/hospital settings all week. So, yes, it can be done.

psycholytic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
We have several adjuncts who teach 2-3 days/week although they work in clinical/hospital settings all week. So, yes, it can be done.

That's what I thought. Great to know! Thanks.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.