Which Bio classes to prep for DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kane

The hard way is the right way
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, Summer '06 DAT-takers.

For who have taken it already and did well (or well enough), congrats! And for those still studying, here's to killing it.

I am planning on doing an informal post-bacc over the next two years, with my DAT next summer. Aside from Bio 101, I have room for three Bio classes before my hardcore DAT study should begin.

Question: What three classes would you recommend to best prep for the DAT Bio section?

I was thinking Anat/Phys I, Cell Biology, _______ ?

Curious what you good people think,

Kane

Members don't see this ad.

Kane said:
Hey, Summer '06 DAT-takers.

For who have taken it already and did well (or well enough), congrats! And for those still studying, here's to killing it.

I am planning on doing an informal post-bacc over the next two years, with my DAT next summer. Aside from Bio 101, I have room for three Bio classes before my hardcore DAT study should begin.

Question: What three classes would you recommend to best prep for the DAT Bio section?

I was thinking Anat/Phys I, Cell Biology, _______ ?

Curious what you good people think,

Kane
Genetics

futuredds1101 said:

thanks.

any other opinions? i don't have to take cell biology, for instance. i could swap something else for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought physiology was great prep course...human physio if you can.
Genetics
Evolutionary Biology
Ecology (really boring though)
2 semesters of O. Chem and 2 semesters of G.Chem.

Anatomy is useful for dental school itself but not really for the DAT.

djeffreyt said:
I thought physiology was great prep course...human physio if you can.
Genetics
Evolutionary Biology
Ecology (really boring though)
2 semesters of O. Chem and 2 semesters of G.Chem.

You both are saying Genetics. Should I bag Cell Biology? (By the way, what's the difference between that and Molecular Biology?)

What about Bio 101. Everyone agrees I should take that, I'm assuming.

I'll be taking both semester of the G & O.Chem. And I'll be taking a refresher Algebra class in the spring leading up to my hardcore QR studying. (You know, to keep the momentum going.)

The school I would be going to doesn't separate Anatomy from Physiology (oh well), but I think I'll only have time for Part I. I hope part II doesn't include the bulk of what I would need to know physio-wise.

Thanks for the help on this one,

Kane

Kane said:
You both are saying Genetics. Should I bag Cell Biology? (By the way, what's the difference between that and Molecular Biology?)

What about Bio 101. Everyone agrees I should take that, I'm assuming.

I'll be taking both semester of the G & O.Chem. And I'll be taking a refresher Algebra class in the spring leading up to my hardcore QR studying. (You know, to keep the momentum going.)

The school I would be going to doesn't separate Anatomy from Physiology (oh well), but I think I'll only have time for Part I. I hope part II doesn't include the bulk of what I would need to know physio-wise.

Thanks for the help on this one,

Kane
cell biology is a good course to take b/c you are going to learn alot of the topics tested on the DAT like mitosis/meiosis, cell cycle, respiration, muscle contraction, hormone signaling, components of the cell and their functions, active/passive transport etc...... it is a very good course and you will get into much detail on the things listed above plus alot more. if i were you i wouldn't bag it.

futuredds1101 said:
cell biology is a good course to take b/c you are going to learn alot of the topics tested on the DAT like mitosis/meiosis, cell cycle, respiration, muscle contraction, hormone signaling, components of the cell and their functions, active/passive transport etc...... it is a very good course and you will get into much detail on the things listed above plus alot more. if i were you i wouldn't bag it.

And I guess i need to take Bio 101...just because. What sucks is that since it's such a survey class, I'm not sure I'll get much out of it.

Okay, Anat/Phys; Cell Bio; Genetics. (Genetics better be worth it!)

So...what IS Molecular Bio? lol A bridge between Cell Bio and Biochem?

Sorry, didn't mean to leave cell biology out...just kind of assumed that would be a given. introductory bio courses are a definite necessity..in fact, I wouldn't figure you could even take a genetics or physio course at your school without those basic bio prerequisites.

yeah. the uni i'll be going to just has one general bio course. but since i'm returning to school, i have taken it in the past, so they would probably let me move on to more advanced classes. but hearing what you have to say, i'll take it.

i wish i could cram all the courses in (for instance, ecology)...it's really sounds like it would help in my DAT prep. but i don't think i'll be able to take them *all*...and isn't it crazy to take 4-5 class to prep me for ONE section of the oh-so-comprehensive DAT? i'm thinking i might have to accept that i'll have to teach myself the fundamentals of ecology (and possibly genetics!)...we'll see what i can do.

to be-labor this issue just a little bit more (sorry)...anyone wanna rank the priority i should give:

Cell Biology
Anat/Phys I
"Molecular & General Genetics"
"Ecology & Evolution"
Anat/Phys II

(as i said, i can probably take 3 max....4 will kill me. if only i had more time. maybe i could take one of them in the first part of next summer session -- but i really wanted to free up my summer to just study-study-study.)

Okay listen up this would be the perfect course selection to take:

Class 1 : Ecology/Evolution/Biodiversity, most schools have this as their BIO 1 course it introduces everything covered on the DAT including taxonomy etc.

Class 2: Molecular Cell Bio/Genetics, this class will give you everything u need to know on dna replication, transcription, translation etc. and also the genetics you need to know

Class 3: An overview biology course, at my school it's called "cells, tissues, organs" basically it goes over the majority of the crap on the DAT.

Class 4: Any Biochemistry course because not only will you review a lot of your chemistry you will learn respiration etc. stuff that probably shows up on the dat.

These 4 classes will cover all you need for Bio and more for sure. Good luck

thanks.

unfortunately, my school doesn't offer a combination Cell Bio/Genetics course. As you mentioned, Cell Bio will at least give me Mitosis/Meiosis & DNA replication.

So Physiology is not as important as Ecology or Evolution?

Maybe I'll take Anat/Phys after the DAT -- solely for preparation for dental school.

See, I can't take EVERYTHING before the test -- I'll only have 2 semesters. (But like I said, I could take something in the first Summer session -- eventhough I wanted to devote ALL my time to studying. Maybe it would be worth it, though.)

In my opinion, my Biology 101 and 102 textbook has everything in it that I need to learn to get a great score on the Biology DAT. I think any other course is going to cause you to learn stuff that isn't going to help you even though it will reinforce other things that you do need to know.

I would suggest learning/memorizing a 1,000+ page General Biology book, cover to cover, and you'll do great on the Biology section of the DAT.

I hear ya. But as my school only has Bio 101, I need to figure out what other class would be a good substitute.

Anyone want to breakdown the # of questions per Bio topic they are expecting to see?

For instance, are there more Physio questions than Ecology questions?