Which biochem course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PD3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am tring to figure out my fall schedule and I plan on taking biochem, but I am unsure which to take. There is a 200 level course and a 500 level. What level biochem are you guys taking. Also, how do you really know which one the dentals schools that require biochem will accept?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes typically, but for some reason they consider it an undergrad course here.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school also offers a 200 level and a 400/500 level that is mixed with both undergrads and grads (phds, post-docs etc). If your school is like mine, I would take the 500 level....that is what I did. The difference at my school is that the 400/500 level teaches more medical based/whole picture tying it together. Ask the teacher which is more useful. Our 200 level is a bio / chem major course that puts focus on the sub atomic aspects. We learned the molecular concepts but also the medical based relations. I was told that the 400/500 level was very similar to dental/med school biochem.

So that is my two cents

My school offered BioChem 421 (a semester course) and BioChem 423A & 423B (a year of biochem). I chose the latter in order to obtain a minor in Chemistry.

As for your situation, you should probably ask your health professions counselor or the prospective professor(s) who teach those two courses.

484 485 486, every school has different number system.

My opinion any "real " biochem course is not a 200 level class.

Just for reference...my schools biochem is 366 but there is an advanced biochem thats like 368. Anything 400 and above is graduate courses.

In my school we had grad students (BIOL 5xxx) taking the class with undergrads (BIOL 3xxx). The only difference is that there were "special sections" for the grad students on our tests, i.e. 2 or 3 more extra essay questions.

take the one that is upper division that looks good on a transcript. Measly 200 course will be a review of bio I.

For example:
Not the easy classes like A&P. Take two seperate classes for anatomy and physio, the combined one is for nurses.

take the one that is upper division that looks good on a transcript. Measly 200 course will be a review of bio I.

For example:
Not the easy classes like A&P. Take two seperate classes for anatomy and physio, the combined one is for nurses.

That is far from the truth. Some schools (my school) offers a 200 level Biochem course which the Chem / Physics department tell students to take over the 400/500 level. Each class has a different focus and perspective of biochem. While the Biomed department tells students to take the 400/500 level.

It depends what you are looking for and how your school prepares the two courses. Go to each department and figure this out.

How much investigation/assessment of course content and difficulty do adcoms do? With so many different numbering systems and levels of content how do they know by looking at the number/title whether your course was harder or easier then someone else's? Do they research each class or do they just check it off as completed after looking at your transcript? I'm just wondering if they even have the time to really care specifically which version you took....

Thanks for the thoughts, at the least I guess the higher level course would better prepare me for dental school.

Thanks all.