which books should i get for the oat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simisn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be taking the OAT in about a year, or a year and a half. What books would you recommend that I get, to prepare for this?

Members don't see this ad.

i would recommend the following: freshman intro books from college on all the subjest areas of the oat..ie bio, organic chem, inorganic chem, physics etc...these are good for reference and no question on the oat goes beyond the complexity of these materials. i used the Betz? guide to studt from. it was small and had a soft cover. i think they still make it. these were all the materials i used. you already know how to read and studying for the oat will sharpen those skills and you really do not need a math text if you just work the problems in the study guide.eyeguy

I ordered the Lippincott book (Preparing for th OAT) through barnes and noble.com... it's nearly impossible to find in a bookstore. The guy at B&N when I asked in person looked at me like I was a freak when I asked for a review book for the OAT. He'd never heard of it. Maybe if they actually STOCKED these books on the reference shelves the optometry schools might get more applicants :p

I also bought the Kaplan MCAT book.. the science reviews were much more comprehensive and easier to follow. But, the practice tests in the OAT book are invaluable.

If you're interested in what OAT books are out there.. go to barnes and nobles website (or amazon.com) and type in OAT in their search thingy.

Barnes and Noble's website is www.bn.com

Hope this helps! and good luck with studying. Let us know if we can help! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I studied from Kaplan's prep books from the class and did much better than I thought. I have heard that the Kaplan MCAT books work great too! :D

The other book I'd definitely recommend is Barrons DAT Review book. Its got a blue and gray cover and has several review tests to quiz yourself with. It also gives a good outline of what to study (A little hint is that this outline is very very similar to the Kaplan outline. ;) The Kaplan goes more in depth on the notes for each section of the outline, but the outline is the same.). So definitely pick up that book if you can. The only thing it doesn't help with is the Physics.

Youll do great!!! Just block off a few months and study your heart out!! :D GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks for all your advice people, I really appreciate it! :)

I found the Lippincott book pretty useless. The practice tests were not really like the actual OAT and the material in the book was limited. The Kaplan MCAT books are good to study review material. You will get a partial OAT with the registration packet which is a good reference, but it also is pretty short but definitely a better practice test (more realistic) than the Lippincott one. You can practice reading comprehension from almost any test prep book, i.e. MCAT, GRE, DAT, etc. They are all very similar and you do have to be able to get through that section quickly. Good luck!

Do any of you (Optometry student) have seriously give up medical school for Optometry school? And why? :rolleyes: