Which CAMPUS at UIC????HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWANT2BMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All~
I was recently accepted to UIC..this is my first acceptance, and I am an OOS. First of all, I have two questions. Does anyone know the defer policy of UIC? Are you bound to that school next year if you defer, or can you reapply to other schools? Also, can someone give me a quick rundown of the benefitst and negatives of the campuses (I know many will say there is already info about this, but I am not asking you...Only helpful responses please, as I have not found anything convincing). Right now, I believe my top two choices are Chicago and Urbana, but I am not so sure. Upon graduation, does the diploma just say UIC, or does it say UIC chicago, UIC peoria, etc? Do any campuses have advantages over the others?

HELP PLEASE...I must turn in my card in like 2 days!!

THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools offer deferments very stringently and only for legitimate purposes (TfA, Peace Corps, Research, etc.) but would likely not give one out so you can reapply. Be happy you got into one school and just go. If a school finds out you used the deferral to reapply, they will have every right (and probably will) to rescind their offer.

hello...thanks for your response...and congrats on your awesome acceptances! As for why I would consider defering, there are a few serious familal issues that just came up that I may have to deal with. Also, as an OOS, the tuition is rediculously, rediculously expensive. I would feel pretty crappy coming out of med school with over 300K in debt...what do you think?
But in general, is it a policy that if you defer and reapply to ther schools the following year, your original acceptance is withdrawn?

THANKS

Members don't see this ad :)
No medical school will give you a deferment for the sake of reapplying.

Deferment is because you need time for something, but still have every intention of coming back. If you are interested in reapplying, you would need to turn down UIC and reapply.

Careful with this one. Keep in mind that it's getting more and more competitive to get in to medical school each year. If you flat out can't attend UIC, then by all means, turn down their acceptance and reapply. But if you just don't want to... Give it careful thought. They were your only acceptance this cycle. And they won't offer you a seat next year if you turn them down.

Hello All~
I was recently accepted to UIC..this is my first acceptance, and I am an OOS. First of all, I have two questions. Does anyone know the defer policy of UIC? Are you bound to that school next year if you defer, or can you reapply to other schools? Also, can someone give me a quick rundown of the benefitst and negatives of the campuses (I know many will say there is already info about this, but I am not asking you...Only helpful responses please, as I have not found anything convincing). Right now, I believe my top two choices are Chicago and Urbana, but I am not so sure. Upon graduation, does the diploma just say UIC, or does it say UIC chicago, UIC peoria, etc? Do any campuses have advantages over the others?

HELP PLEASE...I must turn in my card in like 2 days!!

THANKS

If you defer, AMCAS is aware of it, and you are not able to apply elsewhere, unless you want to go the DO route or Carribean.

Your only real choices this late in the season are Rockford and Peoria, as Chicago is "full". Both of the former have their first year in Urbana. Only MD/PhD students stay in Urbana for four years.

Peoria has class all day and has a history of having higher Step I scores. The medical school is in a downtown area of a small city. There are many residency programs and a more traditional teaching atmosphere.

In Rockford, class is mainly mornings. It has more of a rural feel to it. There are no residents above you in the pecking order, so you tend to get more responsibility early on. If you like rural medicine, this is where that program is based.

Both programs will give you an excellent education. Do a search on "Peoria" and "Rockford" in this forum and you will find many more specific comments. You can also find links to housing information in Urbana for the first year.

The diploma says University of Illinois regardless of where you attend.

as an OOS, the tuition is rediculously, rediculously expensive. I would feel pretty crappy coming out of med school with over 300K in debt...what do you think?
But in general, is it a policy that if you defer and reapply to ther schools the following year, your original acceptance is withdrawn?

THANKS
The only way you can use the AMCAS again is if you decline your current acceptance. If you do this, the common wisdom on this forum is that schools to whom you'd apply in the next cycle would be aware that you were accepted, but chose not to matriculate. There would be a black mark against you in future application processes unless you have a VERY good explanation in your Personal Statement. Some schools would not even consider you in this situation. Don't drop your only acceptance unless it is OK that you may never be accepted elsewhere.

Consider that DO and Carribe schools are also very expensive. Carribe schools have only a 50% match rate, for those who actually graduate. And they are reputed to have a very high drop-out rate.