which carib schools require mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doogyhowser

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know which carib schools don't require mcat?

i know ross, sgu do.
i know saba doesn't.

info on any others?

Members don't see this ad.

St. George's--Yes
Ross--Yes
AUC--Yes
Saba--No
St. Matthew's--No

I hope this helps.

Why worry about not taking the MCAT because in the end you have to take standardized tests in the form of the USMLE's, why not take it and see how you do. If you do well enough you could even try to apply to US schools, I was in your boat at the beginning of the summer and decided to apply to a few US schools because I did better than I expected on the MCAT but we'll see if I wasted 600 on apps. Besides the better schools require the MCAT and why would you wish to go to a lesser school if you are already going out of the US.
Just my $0.02

Members don't see this ad :)
JohnB79 said:
Why worry about not taking the MCAT because in the end you have to take standardized tests in the form of the USMLE's, why not take it and see how you do. If you do well enough you could even try to apply to US schools, I was in your boat at the beginning of the summer and decided to apply to a few US schools because I did better than I expected on the MCAT but we'll see if I wasted 600 on apps. Besides the better schools require the MCAT and why would you wish to go to a lesser school if you are already going out of the US.
Just my $0.02

i know what you're saying, but for a non-trad the mcat is a huge hurdle. i know some saba grads who've done really well though (never took the cat). guess i'm just freaking out a little bit and am planning for worst case scenarios.

i'm scheduled to take the april mcat and will retake it in august if i need to, but if i really stink it up i want to make sure i can get in somewhere. plenty of people screw the pooch on the mcat then end up performing well on the usmle and go on to become good docs.

thanks though, we'll see in may i guess when the results come back *fingers crossed*

doogyhowser said:
i know what you're saying, but for a non-trad the mcat is a huge hurdle.

Yeh ditto for every other medical school applicant :idea:

Respect the process and tradition of becomming a doctor. It's one thing to attend a caribbean school if you have low grades, older applicant, non-traditional, etc. But to avoid the process altogether is a waste. As a non-trad myself I have never considered avoiding the MCAT, I feel I would be cheating myself out of the whole expereince. Its like obtaining an online bachelor's degree without spending a day in lecture hall!

How could you be proud of yourself and say you've acheived the skill to attend medical school without at least measuring youself vs. everyone else?
(retorical question)

How could you be proud of yourself and say you've acheived the skill to attend medical school without at least measuring youself vs. everyone else?
(retorical question)[/QUOTE]

uh, probably because 50% of med school applicants (of which many would make fine doctors) do not gain acceptance, and every med school class has students that fail out even though they've "acheived the skill to attend medical school".

as i've stated, i am taking the mcat. if i suck on it, which many bright people do, then i want to make sure it doesn't keep me from becoming a doctor someday. i'll be plenty proud of myself regardless of where i get my M.D. from or what i get on the cat. it sounds like you need to do well on the mcat to have pride.

anyway, thanks for the two cents. i'm not looking for a flame war anyway.

doogyhowser said:
uh, probably because 50% of med school applicants (of which many would make fine doctors) do not gain acceptance

But they all take the MCAT, regardless.

it sounds like you need to do well on the mcat to have pride.

No I need to take the MCAT, to play the game the way every other applicant (regardless of accecptance) has done.

$.03

*clapping*

okay...mcat...I got it there, sunburn. ;)

as i've mentioned, i'm takin' the frickin' cat.

my original interest for all this was in case i didn't perform well, didn't get into a U.S. school, then couldn't get into a carib school either- due to low scores. obviously, i may surprise myself and get to stay stateside for school :luck:

for someone that celebrates the "great american med school application process", i'm surprised to find you combing the caribbean forum.

doogyhowser said:
for someone that celebrates the "great american med school application process", i'm surprised to find you combing the caribbean forum.

1. The title of your op which yelled "how do I get into med school without taking the MCAT" got my attention, not the caribbean forum. It's like watching Jerry Springer, sometimes you just can't resist.

2. Where did you pull that quote from, it was not from my previous post? I celebrate a lot of things :laugh: However I never said anything negative about caribbean schools vs. US schools. My point was that even the most respected caribbean schools still require the MCAT. BTW what was your MCAT verbal, your reading comprehension stinks.

3. Good luck on the MCAT :luck:

you are...*yawn*...so dense... :sleep:

Well, I didn't write the MCAT because I got accepted to Saba a couple of months before I was scheduled to take the test. I didn't see the need to take it then. Perhaps my sense of tradition isn't strong enough, I don't know. ;)
I do know that it won't make any difference for me as a non-trad med student down the line. No one will ever ask me what I scored on the MCAT as a med student or resident anymore than anyone who mattered in the business world asked me what I made on my SAT or GRE (nearly perfect on both, by the way :).)

Knowing studentdoctor.net, someone will probably post that I'm an idiot for the choices I've made, but they are my choices and I make them well-informed. Don't let anybody question your own choices if you have carefully looked at all your options already.

You should take the MCAT(I know you are, but I 'm encouraging you whether you do good or bad), but like the other poster said its a ritual that everyone goes through and more importantly people who take the MCATs IMHO do better in med school. No I don't believe that good MCAT=good doctor, but I did my Master's at a US med school, taking the 1st 2 years of basic science classes and saw many students in my classes that were part of different BS/MD programs(they get accepted out of high school and are not required to take the MCATs as a part of the admission process)and they didn't do as well as their counterparts that had taken the MCATs. Of course there could be other factors, but I think the intense kind of study that is required for prepping for the MCATs helps, in a way, to adjust to the study required, EVERDAY, while in medical school.

The other thing is that the schools in the Caribbean that require the MCAT, require just that, you are not necessarily limited by the the score that you get. Bonus is that you could do well enough to get into a US school!!
My advice- study hard, then harder than you ever have for the MCATs( I spent 3 months, 8 hours aday- the 1st 2 months reviewing everything - except verbal-wasn't a problem for me- and the last month I did nothing but question- every single stinkin' question Kaplan had to offer and spent the last week doing a full-length test each day for 5 days- took Friday off and took the exam on Sat. trust me, if you put that kind of effort into studying, you will do well(and I was 38 when I got into med school- can't get more non-traditional than that!!) My scores- 11V,11BS,8PS(yeah I suck at the Physics!!)- competitive enough for the US schools.

The hardest part about medical school is getting in- once you accomplish that- the rest is a breeze!!

But didn't you hear root canals are now given in such a way as that individuals feel pleasure from them. Its a new technique involving a different type of anthesia and such, the topic is all the rage in the dental forums. Have a look.

I know some of the newer schools, such as Statia and MUA don't require MCATs either. Along with some of the schools in the DR, and E. Europe, in case you wanted to know.

This topic has been discussed a lot on ValueMD, I recommend you go there and do a search on it.

doogyhowser said:
anyone know which carib schools don't require mcat?

i know ross, sgu do.
i know saba doesn't.

info on any others?

The University of West Indies doesn't require the MCAT, however, they do not train you to pass the USMLEs... you will have to do that on your own. The US has a large alumni of UWI graduates in just about every specialty.

http://sta.uwi.edu/fms/prog_mbbs.php

Good luck! :luck:

JohnB79 said:
But didn't you hear root canals are now given in such a way as that individuals feel pleasure from them. Its a new technique involving a different type of anthesia and such, the topic is all the rage in the dental forums. Have a look.

Yes, it's done with a laser: http://www.mgoldmandds.com/laserRCT.htm.

JohnB79 said:
You know that was supposed to be sarcasim? I didn't actually think there was a way to do it... I guess I was proven wrong.

:laugh: I don't think they induce pleasure though. :laugh: