Which class for Junior Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorkiepoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I am a 2nd year. I am in the midst of taking Orgo and Bio. And I am planning to take the DAT this summer. I am planning to go abroad Spring of next year. I am trying to figure out which classes to take next fall. I am not planning to take a year off before dental school. I am trying to decide what to take next fall, and I am considering two options:

1. Take physics I and then II second semester senior year.
2. Take physiology and then take physics I and II as a senior.

Does it make a difference if I don't take physics until senior year since I don't need it for the DAT?

What other courses should I take besides physio and anatomy? I really don't want to take biochem, is that a must have for appealling to dental schools?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Surely it will vary by school, but this seems to be the common theme:

1 year of bio
1 year of gen chem
1 year of org chem (some schools accpt 1 sem, but most want a year)
1 year of physics
1 sem Calculus
1 sem Biochem
1 sem Microbiology
1 year of English (writing or writing+lit, depends on school, some only want 1 sem)
1 year of anatomy and physiology
1 year of social science (psych, econ, etc) (some schools more, some less, some don't require it)

Also it would be beneficial to get in some other upperdivision bio courses such as developmental biology, histology, pathology, human physiology, molecular bio, etc. (these are not required, but any could be helpful for dental school)

I am not going to take physics tell my senior year since it is not needed for the dat. Also consider when you will fit biochem in your schedule.

yorkiepoo said:
I really don't want to take biochem, is that a must have for appealling to dental schools?

I think more and more schools are adding it to thier list of reqs. I didn't take it so I just picked schools that did not require it to apply to. It really is a personal decision based on if the school you want to go to requires bio chem.

Members don't see this ad :)
So my question then is what happens if your school doesn't offer something a school requires? For example, I think I saw one school at least, that required a year of biochem, but my school only offers a semester of biochem. Obvious answer is don't apply there, but more seriously, what happens in that situation?

lgreen_aci said:
So my question then is what happens if your school doesn't offer something a school requires? For example, I think I saw one school at least, that required a year of biochem, but my school only offers a semester of biochem. Obvious answer is don't apply there, but more seriously, what happens in that situation?

You have to take it at a different school. My sister has to take a prereq for vet school and they don't offer it at her school. She has to take the course through some online correspondence thingie. You have to follow the rules if you want to play the game. :)