Which class to take before the PCAT?

Started by MinaJoon
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MinaJoon

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone! This is my first post but I have been lurking around the forums for quite awhile.

I want to apply Early Decision to pharmacy school for the 2011 admissions cycle which is around October 2010 so the latest PCAT they will accept is the August one.

My goal is to finish all of the prerequisites in 2 years. When I was taking a look at my pre-pharmacy plan I realized that by summer 2010 I will have the following science classes left to complete:

Organic Chemistry 1&2, Physics 1&2, and Anatomy and Physiology 1&2

So my question is to you all is

Out of these 3 classes (including both parts) which one will benefit me most before I take the PCAT in August next year? I only want to take one because summer classes are so condensed and require a lot of concentration.

I'd really appreciate any responses. Thank you!
 
Physics isn't on the pcat, so I think you should only worry about ochem and a&p. Depending on the pcat you get, when I took my pcat last oct. It didn't have much ochem; however, others who have taken it at another time said they had a lot. Anyway, I would still say ochem classes would be more beneficial over the other classes for pcat because you can study for a&p through kaplan books or something. It's not too hard, just a lot of memorization (same for ochem too).
 
I agree that OChem will be more helpful but does your school offer more than one summer session? I ended up taking the second semester of general chem in the first summer session and then A&P 2 in the second semester and I finished at the end of July. If you could do something like that, you could have two of those classes finished before your PCAT.