Which college would be the best for me?

zanderbolt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, who is reading this. Thanks for your time!
I am just really confused and I'm not sure what to do... I'm currently a senior in an IB High School. I am striving for the IB diploma and my GPA is 4.1 (I'm pretty sure it will increase after I finish senior year because of the IB classes I'm taking). I'm a dilligent student, however my SAT score isn't so good. I got a 1500 and am taking an SAT course to study (I am definitely improving) and will take it again soon. My ultimate goal is John Hopkins, but I'm doubting that they'll accept me.
I know some colleges don't only look at school work, but also look at your extra curriculars, which I have plenty of. I do a lot of community service and am in a handful of clubs and honor societies.

I really want to be a doctor, I am severely passionate about this dream...
What colleges do you think I should start paying attention to?
Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

A) wrong subsection to as this (hsdn for high schoolers would be better) b) since you ask..... going to john hopkins will increase your chance of going to medical school if you don't have the right grades mcat scores extracurricular things (the high percentage of acceptance of their grades is due to the fact that they will shuttle people who aren't performing well enough off the premed track, most schools do it in varying degrees of openness.) Honestly you want the cheapest school to prevent debt from getting too high

Ultimately your GPA and MCAT will determine if you get into med school significantly more than the school you attended. UG school can play an impact. Example, a 3.2 GPA from Johns Hopkins might be seen as being just as good as a 3.6-3.7 GPA from Terrible State School University. That's why the MCAT holds as much weight as it does later, because everyone takes the same test. For undergrad, just pick a school that you are going to enjoy attending, that will not be outrageously expensive, and that you think will get you a solid pre-med education. Just make sure while you're there you get a decent (3.6+) GPA and do well on MCATs and you should have a shot at getting into med school somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Ultimately your GPA and MCAT will determine if you get into med school significantly more than the school you attended. UG school can play an impact. Example, a 3.2 GPA from Johns Hopkins might be seen as being just as good as a 3.6-3.7 GPA from Terrible State School University. That's why the MCAT holds as much weight as it does later, because everyone takes the same test. For undergrad, just pick a school that you are going to enjoy attending, that will not be outrageously expensive, and that you think will get you a solid pre-med education. Just make sure while you're there you get a decent (3.6+) GPA and do well on MCATs and you should have a shot at getting into med school somewhere.
I concur with Zoidberg here. I went to a liberal arts school over my state school (a well respected one) and it was one of the best decisions that I have ever made. But, that is just ME. Do what is best for you. A LAC school had so many more opportunities for me than my state school-- and I used nearly all of those to my advantage (some of which came up in my med. school interviews). Nonetheless, make a list of what you want out of your undergrad. institution and then choose accordingly. FWIW, a LAC school didn't hinder me at all as I will be attending my #1 school this summer. GL!