Which course is more important for pharm school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diablonecros

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a prepharm student going to be a junior at my university. I have two questions. First, for my major (Biochemistry), I can either take Cell Biology or Molecular Basis of Human Disease. The descriptions for the two are shown respectively:

Cell Biology - The structure and function of cells and cell organelles, cell growth and division, motility, cell differentiation and specialization.

Molecular Basis of Human Disease - An examination of the molecular basis of human diseases. Course emphasizes inherited human disorders, and some important diseases caused by viruses. Focus on the application of genetic, biochemical, and molecular biological principles to an understanding of the diseases.

Which course would be more helpful in the future for pharmacy school? I dont know which one :(

My second question is is taking Structural Biochemistry any help in pharmacy school? I believe Metabolic Biochemistry would be more helpful (knowing the mechanisms and reaction pathways), whereas just recognizing the structures. Or would both be good to take to prepare for pharmacy school. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

What university do you go to? These seem like weird class names for undergraduate. Cell biology you don't need for biochemistry. I didn't take it. Human Disease seems like a combination of genetics/immunology/virology with some chemistry added in, so that is probably good. Metabolic biochemistry seems like Biochemistry II where you will learn Krebs cycle and metabolism, which is a very good class to take.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have seen Cell Biology as a prerequisite...(for USC). But if you know what schools you're interested in and they don't require it, then I think the other class sounds more interesting and something that might give you an edge as most other applicants probably will not have taken it.

Cell Biology will be better. The other class is Molecular Biology, and the only way for a non-robot to understand Molecular Biology is to utilize examples in various disease/disease states. If you really want to help prepare yourself, TAKE BOTH. According to a lot of students, pharmacy schools expect for your day to consist of approximately 36 hours, rather than 24. Taking both is a great way to prepare for pharmacy school because you won't be another ding dong running around like a chicken with its head cut off

I go to UCSD. So you guys would recommend taking Cell Bio versus Molecular basis for human disease? Would cell bio be more hlepful in the long run in pharmacy school?

And is structural biochem (biochem I) any helpful in the future in pharmacy school? I know metabolic biochem (biochem II) would be helpful, but not too sure about structural (biochem I).

The didactic curriculum in pharmacy school probably isn't going to be YOUR weakness. So I wouldn't worry about it. Take the most classes you can and get used to a high number of credit hours. That's will help you more than knowing which is more important.

Both are great. You will take a lot of classes with intensive study in molecular biology and biochemistry during your first 2 years. It really doesn't matter since honestly, you are going to forget half of the proteins and signaling pathways that you learn in undergrad before learning them all over in pharm school.

I go to UCSD. So you guys would recommend taking Cell Bio versus Molecular basis for human disease? Would cell bio be more hlepful in the long run in pharmacy school?

And is structural biochem (biochem I) any helpful in the future in pharmacy school? I know metabolic biochem (biochem II) would be helpful, but not too sure about structural (biochem I).

And, yes. Any type of biochemistry will be helpful since you will get your fill of biochem in pharmacy school. Biochemistry is the basis of pharmacodynamics and therefore pharmacotherapeutics. It will also help with medicinal chemistry, cell biology, and... oh yeah, biochemistry.

Just learn all the biochemistry that you can now and you will have a head start going into pharmacy school.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I think I will take Cell Bio instead of the Molecular human disease class, and will take Structural biochem (biochem I) as well. Thank you all!!