Which cycle to reapply?

Started by sunny1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sunny1

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think I've pretty much made a decision - I just want to make sure my gut instinct matches what you'd suggest too!

I applied 2008-2009 and was waitlisted. I *know* my MCAT score was too low (in fact, it's amazing I was waitlisted to be honest). Physical sciences was my Achilles' heel.

Due to various life events, I am currently scheduled to retake MCAT in August. I know that's late for this cycle obviously. I am also planning on taking another upper level science class. My MCAT is what needs the most work; I'm confident in my ECs since I'm nontrad and have had more years to build them.

I am thinking it will be best if I know my MCAT score before I send out applications again. Hence, I should wait until 2010 to reapply.

Do you agree? I'm 27 btw. Le sigh...but years are going so quickly now that if I don't start med school til I'm 29 that doesn't feel too differently I suppose. I do have a somewhat sinking feeling in my stomach that this boat is quickly passing me by though. Ugh!
 
To be honest, if I was in your position, I'd rather wait a year, take my time, and do a bang-up job on the MCAT than risk everything on the August MCAT. Like yourself, I wanted to apply to medical school last summer as well but decided against it because (1) My MCAT score was really unbalanced (2) Even if I had submitted my application, it would have been completed very late in the cycle (3) I did not have any clinical experience.

So I decided to wait out another year, get some clinical experience, and properly prepare for the MCAT - and boy am I glad I did. When I retook my January MCAT, I was not under any pressure at all because I knew I could retake it again in April or May if I didn't do well. Also, by waiting out another year, I could apply early on this year and have my applications completed in July and August. If you retake your MCAT this August, you'll be under a lot of pressure and your application will be completed very late in the cycle.

I know you're 27, but is it worth it to put yourself under so much pressure and spend $5,000 to end up in the same spot if your August MCAT doesn't come out OK? I think it's better to have all your ducks lined up and everything in place before applying so that you can reduce the uncertainty and have a better school selection to choose from if you get multiple acceptances.