Which cycle to reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunny1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I've pretty much made a decision - I just want to make sure my gut instinct matches what you'd suggest too!

I applied 2008-2009 and was waitlisted. I *know* my MCAT score was too low (in fact, it's amazing I was waitlisted to be honest). Physical sciences was my Achilles' heel.

Due to various life events, I am currently scheduled to retake MCAT in August. I know that's late for this cycle obviously. I am also planning on taking another upper level science class. My MCAT is what needs the most work; I'm confident in my ECs since I'm nontrad and have had more years to build them.

I am thinking it will be best if I know my MCAT score before I send out applications again. Hence, I should wait until 2010 to reapply.

Do you agree? I'm 27 btw. Le sigh...but years are going so quickly now that if I don't start med school til I'm 29 that doesn't feel too differently I suppose. I do have a somewhat sinking feeling in my stomach that this boat is quickly passing me by though. Ugh!

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, if I was in your position, I'd rather wait a year, take my time, and do a bang-up job on the MCAT than risk everything on the August MCAT. Like yourself, I wanted to apply to medical school last summer as well but decided against it because (1) My MCAT score was really unbalanced (2) Even if I had submitted my application, it would have been completed very late in the cycle (3) I did not have any clinical experience.

So I decided to wait out another year, get some clinical experience, and properly prepare for the MCAT - and boy am I glad I did. When I retook my January MCAT, I was not under any pressure at all because I knew I could retake it again in April or May if I didn't do well. Also, by waiting out another year, I could apply early on this year and have my applications completed in July and August. If you retake your MCAT this August, you'll be under a lot of pressure and your application will be completed very late in the cycle.

I know you're 27, but is it worth it to put yourself under so much pressure and spend $5,000 to end up in the same spot if your August MCAT doesn't come out OK? I think it's better to have all your ducks lined up and everything in place before applying so that you can reduce the uncertainty and have a better school selection to choose from if you get multiple acceptances.

Thanks, Mao. Very sound advice :)