Which direction should I go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reddink

OU COM Class of 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I was rejected from all of the places that I applied this year. I have some questions about what you guys think I should do next.

#1 Go back to school and take the pre-med requirements again or get a minor in biology.

#2 Get a quick (1 year) Master's in chemistry or a longer (2 years) Master's in chemical engineering.

#3 Do a Post-Bacc program. I would like to do this, but there is no way I can afford it. Also, none of my local schools offer this program.

#4 Move on with my life and start looking for a job with my B.S. in Chemical Engineering.

Also, if I should go back to scool, should I retake the MCAT? I have a 29 and am worried that I might drop if I take it again.

I am sorry to throw all of this on you guys, but I really could use some advice with my life.

Members don't see this ad.

1. If your GPA is low (below 3.5 for overal and science GPA), then it would be reasonable to take some additional courses.

1a. If you did poorly in your premed courses, then repeating some or all of them would be a reasonable option, either through a post-bacc program or as a non-degree seeking student.

1b. If you feel you have a good foundation in the basic sciences, but still need to improve your GPA, then consider a one-year masters degree. I'd skip the chemical engineering option, IMHO.

2. A 29 MCAT is pretty solid. If your GPA is low, a higher MCAT would help. But if you have a low GPA, doing well in post-bacc or graduate sciences would probably be of more benefit.

3. You should also get some feedback on why you did poorly. Talk to your premed advisor about it. Here are some possibilities.

3a. You applied after June 1st, or delayed other part of your application so that your secondaries were not in the hands of medical school by early September. (Most medical schools select the majority of people they will interivew by mid-Sept.)

3b. You did not apply to enough schools (at least 11, probably at least 18 if you have a low GPA).

3c. You have weak LORs, a weak essay, or your application does not covey a that you have a spirit of excellence and compassion.

3d. You don't have enough clinical experience.

Feel free to write back with specific questions.

The timing issue and number of schools are big issues. I also did not get in last year anywhere. This year I got my applications in as early as they were available and I got 8 interviews and two acceptances so far.

One thing to consider with taking classes is that your grades wont be in before they are making decisions about inviting you to interviews. Something you can do now is start volunteering every week in a clinical setting. I did that starting last March and it was something that I could talk about in my essay and in interviews as opposed to the classes I was retaking that I could only promise that I planned on doing better than last time. Do something to improve your application now, that way you aren't just promising improvement on your applications.

With a chem e major you will gets lots of questions about how you know that you want to go into medicine during interviews (I was physics). By quoting examples from your volunteer work you will be able to convince them better.

Another option is getting a job in a medically related field. Try to work as a research assistant in medical research, or at a public health system or something like that. I worked as an intern for my state's west nile virus project. That way you are making money and learning about various other sides of medicine, which is good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the other posters. 29 is competitive. If you contact the admissions dean, they will usually tell you what the weak points of your application are.

My first thought is that your GPA is either too low or you did not apply wisely. You must apply to a broad range of schools including lower-tier ones and ones that are known to accept out-of-state students; this is besides applying to your state schools. I would not retake the MCAT unless there is a bad breakdown (i.e., below an 8 in any one section). Let us know more and we'll be able to help you better.

I want to thank you guys for all of your help. I already talked to the AdCom of one school and they basically said that if I was in-state I would have gotten in, but since I wasn't they weren't able to admit me. Don't know if it is the truth or just a line they feed to everybody. I have arranged a couple of face-to-face meetings with some other ones, so they should be of some more help.

From the discussion so far it seems to me that I applied to late (had to wait for August MCAT score) and my GPA is too low. I have a 3.23 overall in Chem E and a 3.35 BCMP. I figured this was too low to get accepted anywhere, but my father was diagnosed with lung cancer and I stopped caring about school for about 3 semesters. I thought the Admissions Committees might give me a little break because of my family situation, but I guess not.

To answer some other questions, I have been volunteering at a local free clinic twice a week since last May where I gained a lot of hands on experience (taking patient histories, taking vital signs, doing strep and UA tests, and doing finger sticks). Also, I have alot of clinical experience by shadowing a neurologist a couple of summers ago and then again this year from September to March (once a week). I also have experience as a part-time EMG tech at a local Neurology Clinic. Also, I have plenty of research experience and a publication. However the publication is in a chemical engineering journal though so I don't know if that holds the same weight as a medical based publication.

With your responses I think I am going to re-take all the Pre-Med requirements or get a minor in Zoology. MDPDGirl, the timing issue won't be a concern since I am not going to reapply this year, but wait a year and then reapply. This way all of my grades (hopefully A's!) will be on my transcript.

Thanks for all of your help, and please keep giving my ideas of how to better my application.

:) Ok so this is just what I would do if I were you....I would probably try to do a one year masters program. You mentioned chemistry which would be fine. There are also several masters programs, one at Georgetown and one at Boston that I know of where you take classes side by side the medical students. Schools tend to look highly on strong performances in these programs since it really proves you can hack it at the med school level. I'm not sure what the deadlines are for these programs for this year are. You might check it out. Or, there is re-taking the premed classes like you mentioned, this is just too painful a thought for me but I commend your perserverance! :) If the GPA gets up a little bit, or if you have some masters grades to factor in you will be very competitive. Next year, be sure that you apply to your state schools and research out-of-state schools that have averages like yours and take lots of out-of-staters. Again, if your breakdown on the MCAT is good I would definately not retake it.

My final thing is that you are pretty much a shoe-in now for DO schools. If you learn about the philosophy and find it appealing I would really consider applying to some DO schools if only for the assurance of knowing you'll be going somewhere. But yes, I know some people don't like the idea. Honestly though, a doc is a doc. Good luck!

Anybody else got any advice?

Your stats sound fine... is it possible that something else in your application was your stumbling block? EC's? PS? Interview? I've heard it recommended before, that one should attempt to contact the Dean of admissions (to wherever you were not accepted) and ask them to evaluate your application so that you may make a stronger applicant the 2nd time around.

Personally, I'm not in favor of taking classes just for S's & G's. At 274 units, i'm sick as hell of school and I only JUST managed to frame and hang up the FIRST degree. If more school is going to give you something you want, then cool... otherwise, do something else. It seems that with a Chemical Engineering degree, adcoms wouldn't spend much time doubting your ability to handle rigorous coursework.

To wrap up: Get outside feedback of your application (and make changes to your application where necessary per their advice), reevaluate your timing and school choice, and do something you're interested while waiting to reapply.

best of luck.
Christine