1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

which do med schools like better???

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by decisions2006, Jul 30, 2006.

1. decisions2006

decisions2006 mamma mia
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    hey everyone
    I love this website. it gives such great advice
    anyways here is my question: If you have a b- or c+ in a pre-req science class does it look better to med schools if you retake that class (seeing as you've already had it and you'd be expected to do better anyways ) or to take higher level class like biochemistry or molecular bio and kick butt in it?
    I also have to take both organic chemistry classes
    I've been graduated a year and will be starting an mph but I'd like to fit these classes in somewhere... is that doable?
    thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wutwinb

wutwinb Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i've had a few B-/C+ in some of the prereqs..all the pre-med deans at my school say that its not worth it to retake the class. for one, if you don't get a higher grade it will look bad. and two, the new grade won't have a significant effect on your g.p.a. since a retake means the average of the two grades, your bcpm/overall gpa might only go up a hundreth or two. so there's no point in going through another semester of the class for that small change. however, doing well in upper level/more difficult science classes will show that you are capable of handling the hard science curriculum..
    on the otherhand, if the grade is a C- or below, they've told me people should retake. i have a friend who got a D in a prereq, then got a B after retaking, and his gpa went up almost a whole tenth..
    hope this helps :)

4. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Taking pre-reqs while doing a grad program is certainly doable, but it really depends on you, and your specific program. Some masters programs are quite rigorous, especially if you are trying to finish in a year and/or doing research. Since you haven't finished your pre-reqs, I am assuming you haven't taken the MCAT yet, so you might have to consider that as well.

Really its your call, you will have to find what your program is like, how many classes you have to take, then somehow fit in the pre-reqs, and GPA enhancement courses, and then fit in time to study for the MCAT...and of course do well in all of these aspects. Remember that graduate GPA (e.g., your MPH program) is considered seperate from your undergrad GPA, and your undergrad GPA is weighted more...so there is a clearly defined line as to where you can improve your grade the most.

5. shareesh

shareesh Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I remember I had a similar issue.

If you get a B-/C+/C in a class, I don't know about your undergrad schools, but it is not permitted to take that course over because you passed it. However, if you really feel like you want to take it over, some go to community colleges.

My advisor told me you should NOT retake the courses with those grades, rather, take upper division classes in that field. Ex. you got a C+ in Biochem...take advanced biochem and try to get an A. However, you can see how there is a problem. Not only is it hard to get an A in an advance biochem class, but you have to work even extra hard because you didn't do as well in regular biochem. And in case you get you try really hard and get a B -- C+ to a B isn't that big of a difference (in case you want to show a drastic difference to medical schools).

Masters and post-bac programs also showcase this advice by having a program with advanced courses.

If you have a C- or lower---for sure take the course over. Even if you get a B...a C- to a B shows a huge improvement.

6. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'd avoid this if possible. Although I am a transfer student, and have nothing against community colleges, our med school advises that you shouldn't retake a class at a community college. Transfering from a community college to a university is OK, but going backwards is not. It may seem like you are taking the "easier route" to boost GPA. As much as I am against the pseudo-claim that community colleges are inferior, some schools do see it that way.

On top of that, if you don't get an A in a class you retook at a CC, then that looks even worse :eek: