Which DO school campuses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samurai5511

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to several schools that have more than one campus. I need some help in choosing which campuses

For PCOM there are two campuses I am looking at:

- PCOM Philadelphia

-PCOM South Georgia

Concerns: I am assuming that PCOM Philadelphia is more established but I am concerned about the cost of living.

For VCOM I am not sure which campus is the best to apply to:

- I am leaning towards VCOM Auburn because I would love to live next to Auburn's campus and am really looking into sports medicine as a subspecialty in the future. But if another school is better Ill go there.

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM-Philly is the original and definitely the better campus. But you can apply to both (good being that you can get two acceptances, bad because it costs more).
VCOM-VA has Virginia Tech and still has the sports medicine aspect. It being the most established campus, makes it the "best."
VCOM-Auburn is a great place with pretty much the same opportunities as VA campus, but it isn't as established.
Great thing with VCOM is you only apply to one campus (cheap!), and when you get your secondary, you rank the campuses in the order that you'd like to attend them. Bad thing being that you're only gonna get one interview and one acceptance (impossible to be accepted to multiple campuses).

*Disclaimer, I am a VCOM student*

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM-Philly is the original and definitely the better campus. But you can apply to both (good being that you can get two acceptances, bad because it costs more).
VCOM-VA has Virginia Tech and still has the sports medicine aspect. It being the most established campus, makes it the "best."
VCOM-Auburn is a great place with pretty much the same opportunities as VA campus, but it isn't as established.
Great thing with VCOM is you only apply to one campus (cheap!), and when you get your secondary, you rank the campuses in the order that you'd like to attend them. Bad thing being that you're only gonna get one interview and one acceptance (impossible to be accepted to multiple campuses).

*Disclaimer, I am a VCOM student*
Thanks, sounds great.

Also, where do you want to live for the next 4 years. Do you want to be near the City or would you be happy in a very rural area. South GA has brand new facilities so all state of the art and room to grow. I would never underestimate the importance of where I am going to live for 4 years and perhaps go into Residency. I would never be happy in the south with the heat, humidity and pace.

Reactions: 1 user
Vote for VCOM-SC. The clinical sites SC offers are much less rural than any of the VA or Alabama sites have to offer.

I actually transferred from VA to SC site after first year bc I wanted to get more of a city 3rd year experience in Charleston. Other sites inclde Jacksonville, Myrrtle Beach, Greenville, and Charlotte.

Also, where do you want to live for the next 4 years. Do you want to be near the City or would you be happy in a very rural area. South GA has brand new facilities so all state of the art and room to grow. I would never underestimate the importance of where I am going to live for 4 years and perhaps go into Residency. I would never be happy in the south with the heat, humidity and pace.
Lol, well I am somewhat more inclined to rural currently. Since I like the idea of the low cost of living because I will have to finance med. school through loans. I also went to a pretty urban campus for undergraduate and am kind of sick of the traffic and all the stuff that comes with urban living. But I am not sure how it would be to live in a super rural area.

Last edited:
Lol, well I am somewhat more inclined to rural currently. Since I like the idea of the low cost of living because I will have to finance med. school through loans. I also went to a pretty urban campus for undergraduate and am kind of sick of the traffic and all the stuff that comes with urban living. But I am not sure how it would be to live in a super rural area.
You should definitely visit the campuses before making a decision. You may not be allowed in the buildings at this time but you should see the area, especially So GA. Not a whole lot going on so important to get a feel for it before such a big decision.

Vote for VCOM-SC. The clinical sites SC offers are much less rural than any of the VA or Alabama sites have to offer.

I actually transferred from VA to SC site after first year bc I wanted to get more of a city 3rd year experience in Charleston. Other sites inclde Jacksonville, Myrrtle Beach, Greenville, and Charlotte.
au campus has a 1-2 in bham, some in panhandle, not all rural spots

Reactions: 1 users