which DO schools I should apply to with low mcat and high GPA ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koko236

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
which DO schools I should apply to with low mcat and high GPA ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is this the first time you have taken the MCAT? If so, I would tell you to retake. The reason why is not because you chances of getting in are extremely low (I think you can get into a school). However, I feel that if you can get around a 503, then your chances of getting into a good school will sky rocket.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everywhere.

If you can afford it.

Reactions: 1 user
Everywhere.

If you can afford it.

Have to disagree here. Schools have cut offs for MCAT scores and MCAT/GPA averages have to be taken into account. I definitely would not tell OP to apply to Touro CA or NY nor CCOM/AZCOM. Save yourself the $200 dollars from that Touro NY secondary and use it for your interviews instead...

Have to disagree here. Schools have cut offs for MCAT scores and MCAT/GPA averages have to be taken into account. I definitely would not tell OP to apply to Touro CA or NY nor CCOM/AZCOM. Save yourself the $200 dollars from that Touro NY secondary and use it for your interviews instead...
I have to agree with this. Many schools I have come across have a cutoff of 6-7 for sub-sectional scores and a 496 composite score with 500 being *competitive*. I would retake since you could do just as mentioned earlier -- become very competitive with that very nice GPA.

It is my first time to take the mcat but I can't afford retaking it financially or emotionally ! I came from an international medical school and I spent 5 years already in 7 year program (wasted because I had to start over from an undergraduate level when I moved to the U.S.) ... I got 124,123,125,125 and I didn't have much time to study but I took it anyway cause I didn't have time and I can't retake it for the same reason + I don't wanna a gap year + I have started practicing medicine before and I don't want waste my life doing physics and orgo ... I wanna be back into the field. so if you guys know any school that will consider my story , I appreciate it !

It is my first time to take the mcat but I can't afford retaking it financially or emotionally ! I came from an international medical school and I spent 5 years already in 7 year program (wasted because I had to start over from an undergraduate level when I moved to the U.S.) ... I got 124,123,125,125 and I didn't have much time to study but I took it anyway cause I didn't have time and I can't retake it for the same reason + I don't wanna a gap year + I have started practicing medicine before and I don't want waste my life doing physics and orgo ... I wanna be back into the field. so if you guys know any school that will consider my story , I appreciate it !
Why did you quit that medical school if you had 2 years left?

Why did you quit that medical school if you had 2 years left?
some political issues back in my original country and my immigration visa was about to expire and I didn't know that none of my 5 year can be transferred . :(

VCOM. They're big on GPA but seem to not care about the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Most of them. I got 11 interview invites last year attended 6 and got into 5. But be prepared to apply broadly and be willing to go to a newer school in case they are the only schools that offer you invites. New schools are really iffy in my opinion but hey you'll still be a doctor. I would suggest making a list of the pros and cons associated with applying broadly and possibly going to a newer school with a slimmer chance of getting into a great DO school vs. retaking the mcat, crushing the mcat, and therefore having to spend less money applying to only 5 or 6 really good schools. Just my opinion

Reactions: 1 users
Most of them. I got 11 interview invites last year attended 6 and got into 5. But be prepared to apply broadly and be willing to go to a newer school in case they are the only schools that offer you invites. New schools are really iffy in my opinion but hey you'll still be a doctor. I would suggest making a list of the pros and cons associated with applying broadly and possibly going to a newer school with a slimmer chance of getting into a great DO school vs. retaking the mcat, crushing the mcat, and therefore having to spend less money applying to only 5 or 6 really good schools. Just my opinion
Thanks a lot , that really helps... I have applied to 14 DO school is that enough ? I only can't find list with new schools anywhere ... do you mean like 1960s is considered new ? If you have a list with new schools that will be great ... appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
All these are new schools:
ACOM
BCOM
CUSOM
LECOM-B
LMU-DCOM
MUCOM
PCOM GA
PNW
VCOM's

It all depends a high GPA helps, some people have high MCAT scores and low GPAs and that also does not look good. If he can make the cutoff at those schools, its still worth applying given his GPA is great. Honestly given his grades he should invest some money in an MCAT prep course to raise the MCAT score.

VCOM. They're big on GPA but seem to not care about the MCAT.
hmmm what do you mean? What does VCOM like to see as far as GPA and MCAT? Any acceptance stories of low MCAT but higher than average GPA?

We're guessing at your stats! Depends on your sgpa, cgpa, med school you attended previously?? (any way to get records?), how old your sciences are, do you have a US bachelors, etc??

Need more info/stats to say for sure, but with a 497 MCAT I'd recommend waiting until next year and strengthening your app. Your MCAT sucks for someone with previous med schooling. If you emotionally can't handle the MCAT again you'll not handle the stress of med school or boards.

If you insist on applying, the above list would give you the best hope, but you're already late in applying with a 497. It will take a month to get your app done/verified, so you need to get your app out yesterday.

hmmm what do you mean? What does VCOM like to see as far as GPA and MCAT? Any acceptance stories of low MCAT but higher than average GPA?
Their class average MCAT scores consistently circle the drain (24ish) while their average GPAs (3.6ish) are consistently above average for DO. If those are your stats, this is probably the place to try.

Last edited:
Their class average MCAT scores consistently circle the drain (24ish) while their average GPAs (3.6ish) are consistently above average for DO. If those are your stats, this is probably the place to try.

Is this true for any of the VCOM campuses in particular or all three?