Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Which DO schools should I apply to?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Blazers_33, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Blazers_33

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys Im wondering which/how many D.O. schools I should apply to to ensure an acceptance and if I should do anything else? I am applying MD also but I know I am a bit of a long shot for MD and would be happy to just get in anywhere! I only want to apply one cycle so I want to make it count.

Residence: Utah, graduated High school in WA, parents still live in childhood home

cGPA 3.61 sGPA 3.48 upward trends in both had bad freshman year. will be graduating in a month

MCAT 511 128/129/126/128

Research
    150 hrs clinical Psychology Lab as Research Assistant. no posters/pubs etc.

Clinical 1750 ish hrs. as Mental Health Care Technician-lots of cool experiences/patient interaction
    31 hrs. shadowing only 5 hrs. D.O., will get more D.O. shadowing before I apply

Volunteer Tutor 100 hrs.
    Program Director for Volunteer Tutoring Service at my uni ~~350 hrs. + leadership
    Nursery Volunteer at Church- 150 hrs.
    Soccer Coach for Underdeserved Youth League- like 55 hrs.
    Taught English in Mexico- 40 hours
    Cleaned/refurbished local elementary school in Mexico-40 hours
    Physiology Lab Instructor/ T.A. for a semester

Work- Mail Carrier Freshman year
    Custodial Sophomore
    Security Sophomore Junior/Senior- first aid response training, responded to like 50 calls with EMT's, leadership role

LOR- have a strong MD letter but no DO, good science letters

MISC Spanish Fluent, lived in Mexico so lots of experience in under-deserved communities, intramural sports and stuff like that

School List so far: PNWU, both westerns, both RVU, AZCOM, both AT Still, Des Moines

Any schools I should add/take out? Thanks for your input!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Magus5454

Medical Student
    I dont think MD is a far as a shot as you think, but definitely add KCU for DO, others are better at listing MD than me

4. curbsideconsult

Medical Student
    I think you'll have a great chance at any DO school. You have a good shot at MD schools as well considering your upward trend and your ECs. Also:
    This is really interesting and adcoms and student interviewers like interesting.

Continue your soccer coaching and maybe volunteer as an ESL instructor for refugees or some other "needy" group. Usually new volunteer activities this late in the game (i.e. right before the app cycle starts) looks weird, but in your case it makes sense since you did ESL work in Mexico.

5. Goro

Faculty

Non-Student
    You're fine for any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. PacNW mostly takes people from CA and the PacNW.

Geographically for you: BCOM, RVU, OK-COM, DMU, KCOM, KCU, TUNCOM, AZCOM. That should be enough.

genegrey and Blazers_33 like this.
  6. Goro

Faculty

Non-Student
    For MD schools, you should add more service hours, especially to those less fortunate than yourself. Get off campus and out of your comfort zone.

Consider:
    Rochester (maybe)
    Hofstra (maybe)
    Albert Einstein (maybe)
    UCF (maybe)
    Pitt (maybe)
    U Toledo
    U VM
    Miami
    Tufts
    George Washington
    Rosy Franklin
    NYMC
    MCW
    VCU
    EVMS
    Wake Forest
    Jefferson
    Temple
    Drexel
    Tulane
    Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
    Oakland-B
    Nova MD
    U CO

7. Suge1

I read some of your other posts and know your qualms about Touro-NY. Can you elaborate on why you can't recommend Nova? Thanks.

8. Goro

Faculty

Non-Student
    Nova: four consecutive years of declining first-time COMLEX pass rates. They're now at ~85% and this is something you expect from a new school, not a veteran. Something is very wrong there.

9. Suge1

Thanks for your reply. Would you still choose Nova > Touro-NY at this point? I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of others (LECOM-Erie and NYITCOM) but each school has some pros and cons for me for personal reasons.

10. Goro

Faculty

Non-Student
    I would choose neither Nova or Touro-NY. Frankly I am worried than with the opening of so many new DO schools and MD schools, that we are heading to a residency crunch. The first victims of this would be grads with red flags like Boards failures. Thus, some 15% of Nova and Touro-NY grads could possibly facing never being a doctor.
    My speculation only, but it's a concern for me.

11. Yhorm the Giant

Pre-Medical
    School list looks good. I'd add Oklahoma State. My app was similar to yours but with a lower cGPA but higher sGPA, one point higher MCAT and less LDS mission volunteering (stateside). I got interview invites from every school you listed except Des Moines and the Arizona AT Still, so I bet you'll get love from petty much all of those.

12. DNC127

DNC127 Im just here so I don't get fined.

Medical Student

OSU student from Utah here. I agree with this. Apply to OSU. Our administration loves mormons and people from Utah. My class like half of our 10 OOS students are from utah. Just get a DO letter.

Yhorm the Giant likes this.