Which EC would you use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HipChick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have one EC spot left on my MD app. I'm debating between two different ones.
1) developed, coordinated and facilitated strength, conditions, and flexibility program for the cheerleading program (9th, jv, v) at the high school I work at. The program was 2-3 days a weeks for 2-3 hours/day for around 8 weeks.

2) on a committee that developed the policy and procedure manual for the sports medicine program for the hospital I used to work for. Included injury and illness assessment and treatment, emergency action plans, physician contacts, etc. it was then signed off by the supervising physician. I honestly have no clue his many hours we spent on this.

By the way, I'm a certified and licensed Athletic Trainer (NOT personal trainer!)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I agree with above, can you rearrange your EC's so that you have some of these grouped together in certain categories?

I vote for the 2nd one. (but combine if at all possible)

1. Clinical shadowing
2. surgical/clinical shadowing
3. Centralis scholarship
4. Multicultural advancement scholarship
5. Ronald McNair research program*
6. Athletic Training- work
7. Athletic training- state licensed
8. Athletic training- national certification
9. High School Athletic Training Aid Program*
10. Varsity Football Leadership program*
11. Roller Derby
12. Clinical rotation site supervisor for Family Medicine residents
13. High School Junior interview site
14. High School Medical Occupation career presenter

* are my expanded experiences

The shadowing is too much to be combined unless I just put a name and hours with no explanation.

I could put high school SATA under work or combine the two scholarships. I guess I could combine licensure and certification. Just seems like a lot of combining.

there are certain schools that ask for info that isn't on your primary. an extra ec is perfect for that.

1. Clinical shadowing
3. Centralis scholarship
11. Roller Derby

The shadowing is too much to be combined unless I just put a name and hours with no explanation.

I could put high school SATA under work or combine the two scholarships. I guess I could combine licensure and certification. Just seems like a lot of combining.

Well if you think each EC listed above needs its own entry then just pick either one of your ECs, it is not going to make or break you depending on which of the two you pick. Also, as someone has mentioned some secondaries ask for an EC that has not been listed in your primary application. In that case the extra EC would be good for that if you are truly out things to talk about. However, I do know that most people list multiple shadowing EC's under the same entry. Also, a lot people list scholarships and awards under the same entry as well, trust me ADCOMS will know the strength and prestige of a given scholarship. Working various jobs are also usually grouped into the same category. What should have it's one entry are those things that need those extra characters to explain what happened that may not seem trivial to the ADCOMs.

Good luck!

Well if you think each EC listed above needs its own entry then just pick either one of your ECs, it is not going to make or break you depending on which of the two you pick. Also, as someone has mentioned some secondaries ask for an EC that has not been listed in your primary application. In that case the extra EC would be good for that if you are truly out things to talk about. However, I do know that most people list multiple shadowing EC's under the same entry. Also, a lot people list scholarships and awards under the same entry as well, trust me ADCOMS will know the strength and prestige of a given scholarship. Working various jobs are also usually grouped into the same category. What should have it's one entry are those things that need those extra characters to explain what happened that may not seem trivial to the ADCOMs.

Good luck!

I've only seen two schools secondaries do far so thanks for the advice on those. I can totally combine the scholarships. The shadowing I could combine but I've shadowed 8-10 clinicians, that's why I broke it up into clinical and clinical/surgical.

I'll also combine the national certification as well as state licensure. Mhm... What else to combine...

1. Clinical shadowing
3. Centralis scholarship
11. Roller Derby

If you combine 6,7 and 8, you should be all set, correct?